Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash won't install on 10.9.2

I just tried to update Shockwave Flash from Version: 12.0.0.44 to Version: 12.0.0.70 on 10.9.2 and it would not install.

Fortunately I keep a bootable HD with a clone of my main HD with the previous version of OSX, 10.9.1 (I'm paranoid).

I booted from that hard drive and had no problem updating to Shockwave Flash Version: 12.0.0.70

I then rebooted from my main drive with 10.9.2 and manually transferred these two files

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/flashplayer.xpt

from the HD with 10.9.1 to the HD with 10.9.2.

All is well and my Firefox Browser, Chrome and Safari all recognize the new Flash version.

Anyone have an idea why it would not install from 10.9.2?

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 8:57 AM

8 replies

Mar 1, 2014 9:10 AM in response to RobertJ

Flash Player does not install automatically after download, despite the Adobe “Install Now” inference on their download page. You must quit all browsers and System Preferences before continuing with the Flash Player install.

The Downloads folder alias on the Dock, next to the Trash icon, will have the Flash Player installer at the bottom of its list. Single-click the installer, and follow directions. When the install has finished, remove the installer from your Desktop with a right-click and Eject.

Safari Preferences > Security has a Internet Plug-Ins: Allow Plug-Ins checkbox which will now have an item for Flash Player in the Manage Website Settings... panel. If you want the Flash Player plug-in to work when visiting other websites, it will need to be set to Allow.

Future updates to Flash Player can be checked, and initiated from the Flash Player panel Advanced tab in System Preferences.

The steps above worked for updating Flash Player to 12.0.0.70 for 10.9.2.

Mar 1, 2014 9:22 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

Flash Player does not install automatically after download, despite the Adobe “Install Now” inference on their download page. You must quit all browsers and System Preferences before continuing with the Flash Player install.

I KNOW THAT

The Downloads folder alias on the Dock, next to the Trash icon, will have the Flash Player installer at the bottom of its list. Single-click the installer, and follow directions. When the install has finished, remove the installer from your Desktop with a right-click and Eject.

I KNOW THAT

Safari Preferences > Security has a Internet Plug-Ins: Allow Plug-Ins checkbox which will now have an item for Flash Player in the Manage Website Settings... panel. If you want the Flash Player plug-in to work when visiting other websites, it will need to be set to Allow.

I KNOW THAT

Future updates to Flash Player can be checked, and initiated from the Flash Player panel Advanced tab in System Preferences.

I KNOW THAT

The steps above worked for updating Flash Player to 12.0.0.70 for 10.9.2.

I've been using Mac's since 1984 and know all that. The point is that I was able to do the install on a HD with 10.9.1 and not 10.9.2 using ANY method. Knowing my way around a Mac I was able to do a manual transfer from the 10.9.1 install to the HD with 10.9.2.

You should attempt to answer the question asked rather than do a knowledge dump.

Mar 1, 2014 10:13 AM in response to RobertJ

I wasn't looking over your shoulder while you went through your deductive (and solution) process. Had I known a priori that we had mutual Mac chronology, my response would have been succinct.

The majority of the questions posted here about Flash installation issues are not from those with your shouted, “I know that” mentality. Your Saturday will be calmer without future responses from an adult, whose focus was less clarevoyant than instinctively helpful.

Flash won't install on 10.9.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.