6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2014 3:01 PM by Chris CA
Noreen Hetro Level 1 (0 points)

I purchased the iPhone 5S from the ATT Store, Wilkes Barre Twnship, PA.  The finger print did not work from the time of purchase.  Sometimes it works and most of the time it does not work.  I know how to add the finger print.  Do I need to install an app to get the finger print to work.  My friend has friends who also have the iPhone 5S and everyone is having the same issue.  Is Apple pretending there is a finger print.

• modular747 Level 6 (18,730 points)

Noreen Hetro wrote:

IThe finger print did not work from the time of purchase.  Sometimes it works

I'm confused.  Does it not work or sometimes work??

iPhone 5s: Using Touch ID

• John Galt Level 8 (45,985 points)

If it never worked, you should not have accepted the iPhone.

If it works "sometimes" it may be the same problem that has been known to affect a large number of users. Apple is allegedly working on an update to address it.

• Johnathan Burger Level 6 (15,882 points)

Mine works perfectly.

I too am confused,  does it work or not work?

There are a few things that effect whether your finger print is recognized-proper placement on the sensor, is the sensor clean, is your finger moist or clean, did you properly complete the fingerprint scan.

• Noreen Hetro Level 1 (0 points)

I did something I never thought would prevent me from unlocking the phone using  the fingerprint.  I washed my hands and discovered I was able to unlock the phone. I kept the phone because there is no way one would know the finger print didn't work when you buy from an ATT Store.  You keep thinking it will work but needs more practice.  As of right now the finger print works as long as my hands are clearn. I spoke to an Apple Tech, superviosr just now and he also suggested keeping the home button clean.

• Lawrence Finch Level 8 (35,018 points)

I've found that deleting fingerprints then re-scanning them has improved the recognition. It's important when training Touch ID that you move your finger slightly with each touch. After retraining several times mine now works on the first try 90% of the time.

• Chris CA Level 9 (78,695 points)

When first setting the fingerprint recognition, make sure to hold the iPhone the same was as when you normally unlock it.

For example, I normally use it with my right and and unlock with my thumb.

When setting it up, don't hold the iPhone with left hand and scan your right thumb