Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't AirDrop work between iOS and OSX?

Apple has almost always never fail to seamlessly integrate its devices, until now? I understand that there is iCloud for content sharing between devices. However, AirDrop was introduced as a simpler way for users to not only share contents between their own devices but as well as other users. I understand that the logic behind AirDrop was practiced by windows users since the creation of modem, though it requires many complex steps and compatibility checks to achieve a simple logic. (and Windows never really bothered with perfecting it over all these years, its improved, still buggy)

My question is, why can't we share contents between iOS and OSX? Everytime I need to transfer some files/content, the quickest way I could think of is to send an email to myself. Just the other day I tried to have my colleague AirDrop a file from his 5S to my MBP. I told him with great confidence that this tech existed long ago, and finally Apple decide to kick some DOS *** and launch a super simple version. And that it should by right work with any device with BT and/or WiFi, but knowing Apple, it would only be for their own products. Not in my wildest dreams it didn't work cross OS.

Forget the embarassment, I want to be pampered by this seamless technology. I want the type of exclusiveness with my fellow family and friends of which majority are Apple lovers. I want to regain the confidence that whenever I step out of my room, whichever device I carry/left out, I can do/resume/engage everything as long as I carry an Apple device.

Music, Videos, E-mails, Docs, Images, iMessages, are all checked. So why not Content Sharing?

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 1:07 PM

5 replies

Aug 30, 2017 6:07 PM in response to dominyte

As of 2017 and ios10.3.3 this astonishing limitation still exists.

Note that it is possible for the phone to function as a personal wifi-hotspot. Functioning this way the phone can send data quickly to and from the computer. Clearly the function of sending files from the phone drive to and from the computer has been deliberately blockaded by apple.

It's rather sinister in fact. Bullying seems like the right word.

Apparently the motivation is to force users to use iCloud. You must use all the apple. Not just what you need.

Failing that users can plug in and use iTunes, which also deliberately limits the transference of files.

Aug 31, 2017 7:38 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hmm yes, how embarassing. I was a bit quick to bad-mouth apple just there.

After a bit of searching I found this:

AirDrop system requirements:

To send items to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or to receive items from those devices, you need a 2012 or later Mac model with OS X Yosemite or later, excluding the Mac Pro (Mid 2012).

So if your mac is older than five years then it simply will not see the device. Seems to be some bluetooth protocol thing?

Five years isn't that old in terms of mac computers. Apple urgently needs to make this notice very obvious and put it in the actual OS windows so users don't waste their time pulling their hair out and hating on Apple, like a lot of them obviously are, myself included.

Sep 1, 2017 6:35 AM in response to Technical Slave

Technical Slave wrote:

So if your mac is older than five years then it simply will not see the device. Seems to be some bluetooth protocol thing?

Yes, it is a BT protocol issue. However, there are Macs as old as 2008 that can do Airdrop.

Five years isn't that old in terms of mac computers. Apple urgently needs to make this notice very obvious and put it in the actual OS windows so users don't waste their time pulling their hair out and hating on Apple, like a lot of them obviously are, myself included.

You mean like with the link in the "What You Need" section of the support article? The one in the sentence that starts, "If you the Go Menu includes Airdrop....."

Why doesn't AirDrop work between iOS and OSX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.