Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunesSetup.exe won't download

The latest version of iTunes wouldn't update properly, so I followed the instructions on this site to totally remove iTunes and any associated programs, restarted my computer (Windows 7), and tried to download iTunes from scratch. As soon as I click on the "Download Now" button, I get the "Thank you for downloading iTunes" screen. THEN the dialog box opens to ask me if I want to save iTunesSetup.exe. I click on "Save File", and the dialog box goes away. That's it. Nothing else happens. I get no further confirmation that the installer has downloaded, and I can't find it on the computer ANYWHERE.

How do I force the installer to actually download?

Windows 7

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 2:06 PM

As soon as I click on the "Download Now" button, I get the "Thank you for downloading iTunes" screen. THEN the dialog box opens to ask me if I want to save iTunesSetup.exe. I click on "Save File", and the dialog box goes away. That's it. Nothing else happens.

Try downloading an installer from the Apple website using a different web browser:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

If you use Firefox instead of IE for the download (or vice versa), do you get a working installer?

If you still can't get a working installer from the standard download page, try the following direct download links for 11.1.5.5:

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2014 2:06 PM in response to MiVoce

As soon as I click on the "Download Now" button, I get the "Thank you for downloading iTunes" screen. THEN the dialog box opens to ask me if I want to save iTunesSetup.exe. I click on "Save File", and the dialog box goes away. That's it. Nothing else happens.

Try downloading an installer from the Apple website using a different web browser:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

If you use Firefox instead of IE for the download (or vice versa), do you get a working installer?

If you still can't get a working installer from the standard download page, try the following direct download links for 11.1.5.5:

May 21, 2014 12:30 PM in response to MiVoce

I am having the same problem. I have tried in Firefox, IE, and Chrome. Firefox asks me if I want to save the file but then downloads nothing. IE and Chrome don't ask anything. With all 3 I get the "Thanks for downloading" page but nothing has downloaded.

I think the reason for the difference between Firefox and the other 2 is that I have Firefox set to ask me where to save downloads. I don't know what the settings are for the other 2.

The direct link to the download file did work.

Thanks.

Oct 13, 2014 12:00 PM in response to andyross

Sorry, but the window asking which directory to download to NEVER shows. I have Apple.com set to ALLOW in all places that could possibly block popups in FF 32. The problem, as others have said, is not FF, or IE. It is Apple. Again. Seriously getting tired of spending hours trying to download iTunes and iOS. Surface is starting to look prettty good about now.

Apr 14, 2015 8:13 AM in response to kluska17

That version is quite old now, though its fine if you don't have a device the requires a newer version for syncing or want to use the latest features. Should you want to bring things up to date howver, then for general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

iTunesSetup.exe won't download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.