Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband Latency In Monitor and In recorded audio

I have a Blue snowball mic, for the past 2 years no latency. With the Garageband update for garageband 10 I now get latency.

When I switch the audio input from my snowball mic to the built in input and then back to the snowball the latency magically disapears. Garageband>preferences>audio/midi>input device

But as soon as I press play or record it returns and does not leave untill I switch the input to something else and then back again.

Like I said before thats only good untill I try to record.

I have turned off all FX in hopes that there would be no process time. But that did not help either.

I thought maybe if i just turn off monitoring to record this would help. But no such luck, the latency actually records late.

So then I have to go in and move the audio file to the correct position to be in time.

Extreemly frustrated by this, because i've been using it with no problems for so long, and now.... its all fubar.

searched all threads and tried many different things.

Any help appriciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 2:26 PM

2 replies

Sep 13, 2014 11:04 AM in response to kekane1

GET MORE RAM!!!! 4GB for MAVERICK IS NOT ENOUGH! THE PROGRAM REQUIRES MORE TO RUN NEW GARAGEBAND!

Update to everyone about my question. I finally decided to just take my I mac into the genius bar.

I talked with the "garage band guy" He asked me to open up my preferences and with in 2 mins told me that I was having this problem because of my RAM!

I have a late 2009 iMac.

He said that with the update of maverick and the new garage band the system requirements were now higher. (apples genius idea, maybe they want to phase out older macs?)

4GB of ram will not work with maverick and garageband. YOU must upgrade the RAM. I thought "great another gimmick to make money right?"

So I tried everything else. Lets give it a shot. I searched for RAM. The price for ram from apple was seriously 3 times higher then other places so I searched online and found ram from crucial.com and newegg.com (make sure you buy the correct type. I had to call crucial to figure it out)

I bought 2 8GB crucial ram chips/sticks and they did not work. Apprenetly 2009 can only take a 4GB stick. I have 4 slots so I returned the 8GB sticks and ordered 4GBx4 sticks of RAM.

IT WORKED!!!!! I searched for over a year for an answer to my question and all I needed was more RAM power!

If you have the same problem then check your ram. 4GB is not enough RAM with Maverick and garageband 10.

IT cost me about 150$ for 16GB of ram. apple charges around 300 for the same amount.

NO LATENCY NO PROBLEMS! WITH OR WITH OUT MY BLUE MIC!

Hope this helps everyone with this question.

Garageband Latency In Monitor and In recorded audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.