Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV can't connect to iTunes Store

My Apple TV was working just fine, but since yesterday I'm not able to conect to itunes. Everytime I try to connect to Itunes i get the same message: "Apple TV can't connect to the server at this time. Please try later".

Is now 2 days it doesn't work. I tried reset and restart, also the router is working just fine and i havent perform any updates lately on the apple tv. I try to update it just now but since it cannot connext to the store it can't perfomr any updates.

Please help.

AppleTV 2

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2017 10:34 AM

Hi all,

I figured the solution lies in between all the replies. What I've found out so far:

1. Region / Time: One of the reasons Apple TV (henceforth ATV) wouldn't connect to iTunes Store is if it's region selection doesn't match your current Address. Secondly, if Apple TV system time doesn't match Internet time, it still wouldn't connect! Sadly ATV doesn't allow user to set its time, it does that automatically from Internet.

2. Router: most routers firewall the ports that are required to update location and time. And so if your ATV System time remains UNMATCHED, iTunes is not going to connect, as mentioned earlier.

So like mixing two bright suggesruins given earlier, 'Restore' the ATV using its menu, and then when it comes alive, connect it to your iPhone's HotSpot. Set 'Region' now (manually or automatically, it doesn't matter), System time will update automatically.

Once done, sign into your iTunes Account. And voila! it should work!

One last step: after confirming the Sign In and all Home-screen icons appearing, remember to disconnect the ATV from your iPhone's Hotspot and connect it now to your regular wifi.

Hope this solves and explains to many! It's albeit sad that ATV doesn't actually tell us what's wrong apart from just complaining: "Cannot connect to iTunes Store". Apple, is better than this!

All this is left to your discovery and your glory! You're all welcome...

39 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2017 10:34 AM in response to gcarvajalino

Hi all,

I figured the solution lies in between all the replies. What I've found out so far:

1. Region / Time: One of the reasons Apple TV (henceforth ATV) wouldn't connect to iTunes Store is if it's region selection doesn't match your current Address. Secondly, if Apple TV system time doesn't match Internet time, it still wouldn't connect! Sadly ATV doesn't allow user to set its time, it does that automatically from Internet.

2. Router: most routers firewall the ports that are required to update location and time. And so if your ATV System time remains UNMATCHED, iTunes is not going to connect, as mentioned earlier.

So like mixing two bright suggesruins given earlier, 'Restore' the ATV using its menu, and then when it comes alive, connect it to your iPhone's HotSpot. Set 'Region' now (manually or automatically, it doesn't matter), System time will update automatically.

Once done, sign into your iTunes Account. And voila! it should work!

One last step: after confirming the Sign In and all Home-screen icons appearing, remember to disconnect the ATV from your iPhone's Hotspot and connect it now to your regular wifi.

Hope this solves and explains to many! It's albeit sad that ATV doesn't actually tell us what's wrong apart from just complaining: "Cannot connect to iTunes Store". Apple, is better than this!

All this is left to your discovery and your glory! You're all welcome...

Aug 10, 2017 7:54 AM in response to Googer27

Can you provide steps on how to troubleshoot this problem? I know I am experiencing this same issue here yet cannot figure out what numbers I am supposed to input under the manual settings; I have 1 ATV that works fine, but the other will not connect via DHCP and DNS failure. I am plugging this ATV in an LG 4K whereas the other one is operating 720/1080 tv... I am on DirectTV network as well in the USA.

Mar 3, 2014 8:11 AM in response to gcarvajalino

Hello gcarvajalino,

I would recommend connecting your Apple TV to your computer and restoring the Apple TV via iTunes, as this will download the latest update on the computer then apply the update.

This restore process requires a micro-USB cable (sold separately), a computer with iTunes, and a high-speed Internet connection. This will install the latest software and revert the device to factory settings.

1. Disconnect the power and HDMI cables from the Apple TV.
  2. Verify that you are using the latest version of iTunes:
    • Mac: Choose iTunes > Check for Updates
    • Windows: Choose Help > Check for Updates
  3. Open iTunes on your computer.
  4. Connect your Apple TV to a computer (determine which Apple TV model you have):
    • Apple TV (2nd generation): Connect one end of the micro-USB cable to the back of your Apple TV, and the other end to one of your computer's USB ports.
    • Apple TV (3rd generation): Connect one end of the micro-USB cable to the back of your Apple TV, and the other end to one of your computer's USB ports. Connect the power cable from your Apple TV to a power outlet.
  5. Click Restore Apple TV from the Apple TV summary page. This step may take some time, depending on the speed of your Internet connection.

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Restoring your Apple TV

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4367

Cheers,

Allen

May 3, 2014 10:10 PM in response to gcarvajalino

I'm having the same problem as gcarvajalino. Ever since I updated my Apple TV it hasn't been able to connect to

the internet, either wirelessly or via ethernet. When I try to, it asks for my iTunes apple ID and password. It then immediately says can't find iTunes. I've restored it connected to my computer. I can't test the connection because it wants to talk to iTunes and it can't find iTunes. It shows that it's attached to Ethernet under network, but still won't connect. It sees my wireless network, but again can't find iTunes. Someone help me

May 21, 2014 7:03 AM in response to jtmrn1

Last nite we turned off the two TVs, leaving the two AppleTV's on, as usual.

This morning, Both of them display none of the normal app icons, and the dreaded "Cannot connect to iTunes Store"...

No power failures overnite, no change other than to turn the TVs back on...

AppleTVs are updated to latest IOS 6.1.1

I have restarted, power cycled, switched from manual IP to DHCP, etc.

I could now do a factory reset on one of them, but I have little hope.

PS: all other Macs, laptops and iPads have no trouble getting to the stores or streaming services.

Apple TV can't connect to iTunes Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.