Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSight Camera Indicator Light Constantly on

I had to restart my 2009 Macbook after it froze completly while testing a screensaver. When I restarted, the green iSight light that indicates the camera is in use came on, despite the fact that it was not. (It might have been on before that, I wasn't paying attention.) It is still on now. I looked up this problem and found some advice, but all of it dated back to 2008 or earlier and were talking about problems in OS X 10.5.x or earlier. I am running OS X 10.9.1. I'm not sure that the problem is isolated to the light, because despite the fact that the computer was not running slowly, Photo booth showed a spinning loading icon, like the camera is loading up. It would not load the camera

I have two theories. The first: The camera is broken and the constant light is an indicator of that, sort of like the ABS light coming on in your car. The other theory is that the camera is actually on, either because of a glitch or because of malicious software. (Say cheese, Yea55!)

Any answers?

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 2:40 PM

1 reply

Mar 2, 2014 8:00 AM in response to Yea55

Yea55 wrote: ... froze completly while testing a screensaver...Say cheese, Yea55!...

You may be onto something. Some third party software can cause conflicts or other problems.

I would try these suggestions until one gives a solution:

(0) Follow the developer's instructions to uninstall all third-party apps you do not KNOW are trouble-free. Then restart Mac and check for proper function. If the trouble goes away, you can reinstall any necessary third-party apps ONE AT A TIME, testing thoroughly before the next addition.

(1) Check for and remove any login items that can use your camera. Then check for and uninstall any dashboard widgets that can use your camera. Now restart Mac one again to see if the problem goes away.

(2) Restart Mac and use your Mac's Disk Utility to repair permissions. Then download and apply the latest Combo Update, currently OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 Update (Combo). Repair permissions again immediately following the restart that completes the reinstall and before testing again.

(3) Check your camera's function again using the method described in How to Troubleshoot iSight. Be sure to test more than one Apple camera app in more than one user account if your camera trouble continues.

(4) If the problem continues, the easiest fix is to backup your Mac and contact Apple or an Authorized Service Provider for service.

(5) Alternatively, if you want to try to fix the problem yourself before seeking professional help, or if you still believe that some software problem may be causing your trouble:

• backup all important files, zero (secure erase) your starup disk,

• reinstall Mac OS and trusted apps from their original source (not from backup), and

• test camera for proper function.

• If all is well, copy only known good data files back before your final test.

Zeroing the disk ensures that any hidden or forgotten files that may be causing your trouble are gone forever.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.9

iSight Camera Indicator Light Constantly on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.