Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My orange light won't stop blinking after 5 hours on the charger

Hey!!

Hoping someone can help..... I am charging a ipod shuffle 4th generation for the first time on my windows PC. It has been 5 hours and the orange light is still blinking..... help!!! Am I doing something wrong?? Thought it would have stopped blinking by now??

Thanks, Polly

iPod shuffle

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 12:33 AM

The light, when it is BLINKING orange, has nothing to do with battery status. The blinking light means DO NOT DISCONNECT. It is a warning to NOT physically disconnect the shuffle without ejecting it in iTunes first. This is because the shuffle's "disk" is mounted by the computer's system and "in use" (even if iTunes is not doing anything), like a USB flash drive or external drive is mounted when plugged in.

In iTunes, there is a small button next to the shuffle's name for ejecting the shuffle. When you click that button, you should see that the light stops blinking. Solid light means OK TO DISCONNECT. Now, the color of the solid light indicates battery status, and if it is fully charged, it will be green. Solid orange means it is charging, but you can safely disconnect it. NOTE: The light never blinks green.

If you set up the shuffle to do automatic syncing (instead of loading it manually), when iTunes is not activity accessing the shuffle for syncing, iTunes unmounts the shuffle's disk. Then, the shuffle's light will be solid without the need to eject it. It will only blink when iTunes is syncing the shuffle. And you can disconnect the shuffle without ejecting it first (as long as the light is not blinking). You can post back if you want more info on setting up automatic syncing.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2014 12:33 AM in response to Polly_not_nuts

The light, when it is BLINKING orange, has nothing to do with battery status. The blinking light means DO NOT DISCONNECT. It is a warning to NOT physically disconnect the shuffle without ejecting it in iTunes first. This is because the shuffle's "disk" is mounted by the computer's system and "in use" (even if iTunes is not doing anything), like a USB flash drive or external drive is mounted when plugged in.

In iTunes, there is a small button next to the shuffle's name for ejecting the shuffle. When you click that button, you should see that the light stops blinking. Solid light means OK TO DISCONNECT. Now, the color of the solid light indicates battery status, and if it is fully charged, it will be green. Solid orange means it is charging, but you can safely disconnect it. NOTE: The light never blinks green.

If you set up the shuffle to do automatic syncing (instead of loading it manually), when iTunes is not activity accessing the shuffle for syncing, iTunes unmounts the shuffle's disk. Then, the shuffle's light will be solid without the need to eject it. It will only blink when iTunes is syncing the shuffle. And you can disconnect the shuffle without ejecting it first (as long as the light is not blinking). You can post back if you want more info on setting up automatic syncing.

My orange light won't stop blinking after 5 hours on the charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.