Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Won't play music on network drive after recent updates

Just updated OS X to 10.9.2 and iTunes to 11.1.5 and now any music in the library thats pointing to a file on a networked drive won't play.

Music on my local system plays fine.

Not sure which update broke this (OS or iTunes).

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 6:46 PM

5 replies

Mar 25, 2014 1:28 PM in response to dwhitevisoft

If you keep all your media on an external drive but otherwise organized as iTunes wants and you're lucky, try finding one file and see if iTunes finds the rest. If your media are split between drives it can get messy, fast, with no easy fix other than adding media again and getting rid of dead links for the unlinked files. It shouldn't happen but I recall a month or two back several cases and two of us worked on long topics to resolve it but with no easy fix. It just seems something happens with newer iTunes with split libraries that may cause links on external drives to break.

Mar 25, 2014 1:39 PM in response to Limnos

Well it has the right paths and everything, but it won't play. If I try to add it again, nothing happens. It flat out doesn't add the media. I'm not sure when this broke, but it's very annoying.

I do keep my music split. Most of my music are just links to wherever. It was working fine, but now not at all. I can't even double-click on a file and get it to play in iTunes (though it works with other players, like Vox). It doesn't seem to be libraray related as much as just flat out network related.

Apr 29, 2014 8:56 AM in response to NRaygun

This same issue was also happening to me. I finally figured it out, well it worked for me.

There must have been something in last update that changed the way itunes looked at the permissions on the file. I was unable to delete or play the song. I went to my nas device and modified the permissions to read/write and everything is fine now. I am not sure why this changed, but it did.

hope this helps some people, this was an annoyance of mine for a long time.

Won't play music on network drive after recent updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.