Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad air smart cover polarity issue

Hi!

I have an iPad air with an official apple smart cover. It was worked well, but now from day to day it has a problem. It is just like the polarity of the magnets "reversed" somehow and it is "floating" on the iPad. Here is a picture what I mean:

User uploaded file

Does anyone have the same problem or know how to fix it?

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 2:42 AM

6 replies

Mar 4, 2014 10:09 AM in response to rocsox

Hey there RocSox,

It looks like the magnets are not clinging to eachother between your Smart Cover, and your iPad Air. I would recommend contacting Apple either by telephone, or at your local store to investigate further:

Service Answer Center - iPad

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=ipad

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

Mar 14, 2014 6:03 AM in response to rocsox

I also have an iPad Air, and a genuine Apple Air Smart Cover. Cover stuck fine in the closed position (even if upside down) for several months. Cover also stuck to the right hand back of the iPad Air when open and folded back, even if upside down.

About a week ago, the right hand edge of the cover started being repelled from the right hand edge iPad Air when closed. This left the iPad at risk of not actuating the on off switch, or at least being very sensitive to any movement.

The cover still stuck to the back of the iPad Air when open and folded back.

I believe Apple have magnets in the right hand edge of the cover, not just a passive strip of iron. If so, the polarity between back and front of the cover will be opposite. I believe Apple are somehow arranging the magnets in the right hand side of the iPad Air to change position depending on whether the cover is closed on the front, or open and folded to the back. I suspect Apple somehow allow the magnets in the iPad Air to pivot or move to provide a decent attraction both front and back regardless of cover polarity.

When I get hold of some magnetic viewing film I will check the magnet locations further.

My iPad Air went back to attracting the cover to both front and back a day or so ago. I had made no alterations. This correction happened after leaving the cover closed (and hovering mid air) overnight.

Apr 2, 2014 6:17 PM in response to INEEDIPODHELP

My iPad Air cover was messed up on hover for about a week. Prior to that, when using the iPad Air, I often folded the cover around the back of the iPad when using it.

The "fix" happend overnight. I believe I had something small on top of the cover, not sufficient to press it all the way down, but it may have not been repelled as far off the surface.

I suggest closing the cover, with maybe a book or something non-magnetic like that on top of it, and leave it overnight. Repeat this on several nights. You may get lucky, like I did. You could also try leaving it closed overnight, upside down. If there is something in the iPad that moves, having gravity help might be worthwhile.

You should also lodge iPad Air feedback with Apple, so they have more complaints about this.

You probably should also lodge a support request with Apple, and retain the support number (you should still be under warrantee).

I have not (as yet) had a repeat of the problem.

Good luck.

iPad air smart cover polarity issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.