Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated iPad3 iOS software and now need an unknown passcode?

I updated the iOS on my fathers' iPad3 and now the iPad is asking for a 4 digit passcode?

He is 72 years old, he has never had a passcode for it before. The iPad has never been synched to a computer because he doesn't have one.

We don't want him to lose his data. He has hundreds of photos on there that would be devastating to lose.

• iPad3
  • never been synched
  • during the update it never asked for a passcode
  • there has never been a passcode setup on the iPad
  • tried to synch it to my Macbook just now but it wont accept it

It's not good enough for Apple to simply shrug responsibility of something like this happening to an non-tech-savvy elderly citizen who has tried to update his iPad in good faith and will possibly now lose precious photos of family. We really do need an answer please?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 3:41 AM

1 reply

Mar 2, 2014 4:49 AM in response to A.Nordblom

During the setup procedure for iOS 7 it recommends that you setup a passcode to protect your iPad. Although you can bypass this step you apparently assigned a passcode of some sort. If you do not know what it is then you have little choice but to use recovery mode:

Read this: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808

The camera roll is backed up in the automatic iCloud backups so, if iCloud back ups were turned on, photos can be recovered from the most recent backup.

By the way you aren't talking to Apple here. This is a user-to-user technical help forum hosted by Apple.

Updated iPad3 iOS software and now need an unknown passcode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.