6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2014 6:17 AM by Turtleduck
_Roudha_ Level 1 Level 1

Yesterday day I found my MacBook Pro updating by it self to 10.9.2 ! When it too long time to restart I shut it Down unfortunately .

And now it refuse to work it show a frozen screen with Mac logo and text with black color

Hope someone knows how to fix it.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)
  • Melophage Level 5 Level 5

_Roudha_,

in the App Store pane of System Preferences, you will find several checkboxes. If you do not want your MacBook Pro to update itself, be sure to uncheck the “Install app updates” and “Install system data files and security updates” checkboxes there.

To address your current problem, try the following: boot your MacBook Pro into Recovery mode by holding down a Command key and the R key as it starts up. Once the Mac OS X Utilities menu appears, select Disk Utility. On the left-hand side of the Disk Utility window, select your internal disk’s boot partition (typically called “Macintosh HD”). On the right-hand side, press the Verify Disk button if it’s not greyed out; if it is greyed out, or if it reports that errors were found, press the Repair Disk button. Once the verification/repair is completed, exit Disk Utility and select Restart from the Apple menu to restart in normal mode. Do you still get the frozen screen with a Mac logo and black text?

• _Roudha_ Level 1 Level 1

Massege appears " disk utility stopped repairing Macintosh HD"

(Disk utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible ,

Reformat the disk and restore your backed up files)

This is so furstrating , can't stop thinking what if my files going to be lost !!!!!

_Roudha_,

it’s time to buy an external hard drive. Format it using Disk Utility, and copy your personal files to it, so that they don’t get lost. Once you’ve got a copy of your personal files on an external hard drive, leave a reply here saying so, and I’ll provide instructions on how to reïnstall OS X on your internal hard drive.

• _Roudha_ Level 1 Level 1

How to copy my files ! Or move them ?!

_Roudha_,

in the Finder you can drag each folder that contains your files onto the icon which represents your external hard drive.

• Turtleduck Level 1 Level 1

Get yourself a copy of DiskWarrior. In most cases it can correct the file system errors, even when Disk Utility can't. Of course if your hard drive is failing, all bets are off.