Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 with latest AirPort Extreme

I have just bought the latest AirPort Extreme. Set-up using airport utility on all my apple products worked like a charm. I then installed airport utility and updated it in my old windows 7 laptop.

- airport utility on windows 7 cannot detect the wifi network

- windows 7 can however see the wifi network when I go to network properties, but it cannot connect to it

- I tried shifting the AirPort Extreme from WPA 2 to no security, and windows 7 still cannot connect nor is airport utility finding the network

- I tried changing the channel on the AirPort Extreme to channel 11, still nothing

My old laptop on windows 7 has a b/g wireless card. I am afraid the AirPort Extreme is not compatible with b/g, or if it is, do I have to set it to it, and if so where?

Any other tips as to what I could change in the settings of the AirPort Extreme or windows 7 to either have airport utility see and connect to the network, or connect through windows 7 network properties?

Thanks

Philippe

iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 5:19 AM

11 replies

Mar 6, 2014 5:36 AM in response to Mark Piaskiewicz1

Hi Mark,

Ok, I followed your steps, and the screen I have on my Airport Utility (v6.3.2) is the one bellow. I unfortunately do not have the same options as you do. It doesn't seem I can select compatibility with b/g in my software.

Which version of the Airport Utility are you using, and is there a way for me to downgrade to it yet still for it to work with the latest Airport Extreme (http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/)?

User uploaded file

Mar 6, 2014 5:52 AM in response to Phboujon

Well, we're running the same version of the utility so it seems to display different options depending on which version of the hardware it's seeing. I checked the specs on the latest version and it lists b/g compatibility. My guess is that the b/g/n compatibility option is listed elsewhere.

The good news is that if you can't find it, your device is new and you qualify for free tech support. I recommend calling Apple (800) 275-2273 and asking them how it's done.

Mar 6, 2014 10:43 AM in response to Mark Piaskiewicz1

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the tip about iStumbler. Running it, I found that the Airport Extreme is automatically broadcasting both in 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, but both networks used the same name. There is however an option in my Airport Utility to give a different name to the 5Ghz network, which I have now done.

I also confirmed that the 2.4Ghz network is broading in 802.11N, and thus probably why my Windows 7 old laptop cannot connect to it. I'll call apple and see how I can change this.

Mar 6, 2014 1:24 PM in response to Phboujon

Update for those who may have similar issues.

After calling Apple care, I established that while iStumbler displays the broadcast mode of my Airport Extreme 2.4 Ghz network as 802.xxN, it is actually based on the "lowest" radio of devices connected to it.

Thus, since my 2.4Ghz network is connected to my iphone and ipad, it is automatically set as radio mode N, and since my 5Ghz network is connected to my mcabook pro, it is set as radio mode A.

My Windows 7 laptop should be able to connect to my 2.4Ghz network, in which case the network would automatically shift to B/G (which would slow my ipad and iphone, but you can't have everything). However my Windows 7 laptop is using a very old wireless card, an Intel 2200BG which is not anymore supported under Windows 7.

Apple Care was unfortunately not able to resolve the issue at this point of time.

Windows 7 with latest AirPort Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.