Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very slow download speed in Apple App Store

Hi

Two days ago I try to update my macbook to the new OS X update via wifi, the download speed is very very slow and it takes over 4 to 5 hours to complete, As I have do the same update before on my Imac with ethernet and its very fast, so I think it is my wifi network issue. But today when I try to do the itune update on the imac (with ethernet, not wifi) the download speed is very very slow. And it will stop after downloading a few MB. The slow download speed is not from my ISP as I can download with quick speed in other site, just experience the slow speed in app store.

Does anyone knows why the download speed is so slow in Apple App Store and is there any way to fix this?

Thanks a lot

Jason

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 7:14 AM

20 replies

Aug 4, 2017 8:58 AM in response to Linc Davis

Having this problem in MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, MacBookPro11,3.

App Store OK until a couple of weeks ago--started with showing the wrong updates and then not showing updates at all. Was slow and that time and worse now--maybe 10x slower to open and to change screens (i.e. to change to updates screen. Tried some other suggested "fixes"--none helped. Careful to only get apps from app store--no place else. No wired peripherals but have wireless Brother printer and 2 Airplay speakers.

Booted into Safe Mode--same problem with App Store. Would greatly appreciate furhter help if you're still into this 3+ years later.

Ed Steinman

Mar 2, 2014 8:53 AM in response to Coolass

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you boot, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a Fusion Drive or a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Apr 2, 2014 1:24 PM in response to Linc Davis

I am having this problem on a brand new Mac Pro.

I just did this test, booting into Safe Mode, and the download speed jumped back up to normal (before, I was getting literally a trickle download of like single digit kb/sec while trying to install Final Cut X).

Rebooting after booting into safe mode now, and my download speeds are back up to normal (or at least expected speeds).

Did the Safe Boot clear out something, or disable some 3rd party software? I have a 10Gb Thunderbolt NIC from Small-tree which required drivers to be installed that were apparently not signed sufficiently for the OS security services until after a reboot. The card works fine and does connect to my internal network at 10Gb.

Is there anything special about booting into Safe Boot mode that changes something?

Jul 14, 2014 10:23 AM in response to Coolass

I can confirm a solution that works but it may not be available to all.

I was on holiday in Thailand and on a slower but perfectly acceptable connection at around ~10Mbps. My download in the mac app store was deadly slow... like insanely crazy slow, estimating 5 days to download 5 gig (OSX dev preview of Yosemite).

I happen to have my own VPN set up so I can access UK-based stuff when I'm abroad like BBC iPlayer etc so I connected via my VPN and restarted the app store download and went from around 1.5k per second to just over 1MB per second. It would appear that either there is location-based throttling going on or the endpoint in Thailand is really terrible.

The solution it would seem is to get access to a VPN and download that way! My personal opinion would be to get a VPN in the UK or US if possible, depending on where you already reside. VPNs can be found for free by googling.

Enjoy!

Rob Evans

CEO & Lead Developer

Irrelon Software Limited

Jul 25, 2014 5:11 PM in response to coolbloke1324

I am in almost the identical situation, trying to download the beta version of Yosemite for testing purposes from the Australian App Store. I am in Indonesia at the moment and like you am using a VPN which makes me appear to be in Melbourne Australia. This usually provides download speeds of 1-2 Mb/sec but this download is giving an estimated download time of 5 days. I can fully understand that there would be a large demand for this file but I have observed this to be a consistent problem for a number of my friends here with the App store. It doesn't seem to matter which store they use both UK and USA stores are equally slow on different connections ie. WiFi / cable. A friend of mine tried to do an online OSX Mavericks system restore after a crash and eventually gave up due to the time required. So I'm a bit puzzled, the only thing I haven't tried is changing to the Indonesian App store due to the limited number of times one can do that. It's about the only thing left to try but I have my doubts.

Jul 25, 2014 5:24 PM in response to Coolass

When my download speed from Apple updates slows down - I will pause the update, Disconnect from the internet and just Shut down - Next day speed will be back.

I do the updates at night - as in my area all the utilities are working on lines during the day.

Shutting down for the day or time ends all jobs and cuts down on wear and tear on my mac. It is a personal choice & is probably why I don't have as many problems as those who only put it in sleep are reporting.

Weather can also cause slow downs - along with fires - etc.

Nov 2, 2014 11:26 PM in response to Coolass

Hello,

I had the same issue and here is what I did to fix it:

1. Quit the Mac App Store with Command + Option + Q

2. Open Keychain Access from Applications > Utilities

3. Go to Keychain Access > Preferences > Certificates

4. Set ‘Certificate Revocation List (CRL)’ to ‘Off’

5. Quit Keychain Access

6. Relaunch the Mac App Store and you should be set

I did that and it really worked as fast as it used to be 😉

May 29, 2016 8:17 AM in response to iGROOVER

Sorry iGroover, i-develop etc. etc. all of this killing processes and not doing certificate revocation checks has nothing to do with it and does not solve the problem.

The problem lies at Apple's side, not on the Mac's of their customers. It has nothing to do with my ISP or anyone else. Forget location (i'm in Europe). It has nothing to do with you.

Apple, currently, at the moment that I write this post, are actively throttling downloads. No more, no less. Don't make to much of it and don't fix problems YOU don't have...

On my MBP and iMac I am trying to download the El-Capitan installer because i want to make an USB-Stick installer. On each machine, the download starts at full wire-speed (20 MB/s) and always, after about 10 seconds, drops to less than 0.7 KB/s.

About 10 seconds full speed, then the abrupt slowdown. At least it has been like that **today**. It says nothing on how it would have been 12 hours ago, or how it will be 12 hours in the future.

At the moment, I can repeat this over and over again. At the moment of writing, Apple is throttling and larger downloads, that do not fit in that, roughly 10 second window, get shafted. It is as simple as that.

No amount of killing processes etc. etc. etc. etc. can fix this as the problem is not on our machines. Period.

At other times, I can download large updates etc. etc. from the App Mac Store completely at full speed. This varies greatly and depends on the load on Apple's servers at that point.

It has been like this for years.

This **** happens on all my Apple Devices, regardless of iOS, OS-X, does not matter. Downloads can be fast, slow or mega-slow (like now) and we can do nothing about it.

Very slow download speed in Apple App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.