Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BT wifi intereference

Will Mavericks overcome a problem we've had lately of someone in the street where we live, hacking or at least interfering with our settings? The wi-fi scanner had its settings altered and although the network preference was locked, they unlocked it and their wi-fi overode ours. On top of this I get odd messages like when I went to shut down, that multiple users are still connected to my i-Tunes and do I wish to proceed? Our email boxes were also lost but I put that down to our Service Provider Sky havin g an update, plus our router going up the creek. Any help appreciated.

Mac OS X (10.6.7), podcast capture device for iMac

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 7:32 AM

5 replies

Mar 2, 2014 8:37 AM in response to tonyfromkilmarnock

Are you connecting to your Sky WiFi or to the BT WiFi? I ask because the Mac will connect to an open WiFi and you may not realise it.

Also as William says, check the Sky router is set up with WPA2 encryption, change the default password for both the Amin account on the router and the WiFi password (the one Sky put on a label on the router)

If you get connection problems, confirm the channels in use by other WIFi routers that are nearby and try and select one for the Sky router that minimises contention, although you will not clear contention completely for free channels.

If you find yourself connecting to the BT WiFi instead of the Sky one, I think you can set up the Mac to ignore the unwanted WiFi signal.

Mar 2, 2014 1:42 PM in response to tonyfromkilmarnock

Hi,

This is what I can see from my Wifi enabled iMac regarding our street

User uploaded file

As you can see the BT FON item offers a Wifi Access point that is not using a secure connection.

Normally if you are with BT they give the option to access the network though Hotspots and this is one of them.

It is most likely part of the set up of the BT Hub above it in the list.

My Sky device has had the Admin (Browser login) password changed.

See also http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26352439

iStumbler can see more and tells you the Channel the devices are using so you can change yours to avoid that sort of interferrence

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

9:42 pm Sunday; March 2, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

BT wifi intereference

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.