Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync iBooks from iPad to Mac

I downloaded PDFs to iBooks on iPad and they won't sync to Mac.

How do I sync my iBooks Collections?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 11:04 AM

If you connect the iPad to your Mac's iTunes and do File > Devices > Transfer Purchases then they should copy over to your Mac (that should copy PDFs and epubs that are in the iBooks app, not just ibooks). In the iBooks app on your Mac you might then need to do FIle > Move Books From iTunes

37 replies

Mar 3, 2014 9:50 AM in response to neenak

Both parts, the Transfer Purchases when connected to your Mac's iTunes and the Move Books in your Mac's iBooks app ? I've just downloaded a PDF into iBooks on my iPad and been able to transfer it over via those two steps into the iBooks app on my Mac. If that isn't working then have you tried rebooting your iPad and your Mac and seeing if it then work ?

iPad reboot (soft-reset) : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear (you won't lose any content).

Apr 2, 2014 7:11 PM in response to King_Penguin

This did not work for me. Your directions are very clear and easy to follow. I tried this many times without success. I even moved some PDFs on the iPad from the PDF collection in iBooks to the Book collection and they still won't transfer over to iBooks on the Mac. Any other ideas?

I have ann iPad 2 with iOS 7.1 and just got my new Mac Mini 3 days ago and OX Mavericks is up to date.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 3, 2014 8:01 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thanks for the response. Yes purchased iBooks did transfer over from the iPad. iBooks on the Mac has the names of the collections I have stored on the iPad, but none of the contents. Frustrating.

I have a lot of titles on the iPad that I've collected over 2-1/2 years so I need transfer to work.

Not sure what you mean by "Transfer Purchase e.g. apps". What apps should I expect to copy over from iPad to Mac?

Apr 3, 2014 8:24 AM in response to TomF-SC

With your iPad connected to your Mac's iTunes, does the File > Devices > Transfer Purchases menu option copy any items from your iPad to your Mac's iTunes library e.g. if you have any apps that you've downloaded from the store on your iPad (and which aren't currently in your iTunes library) does that copy them over to the Apps part of your Mac's iTunes library - that's just to see if it's just books that aren't being copied, or if it's not copying anything.

And after doing the Transfer Purchases you've then done File > Move Books From iTunes in the iBooks app on your Mac ?

Apr 3, 2014 8:44 AM in response to King_Penguin

Yes apps are transfering. I got a new app on the iPad just now to double check, and it transfered over to the Apps Library in iTunes.

>And after doing the Transfer Purchases you've then done File > Move Books From iTunes in the iBooks app on your Mac ?<

Yes I've been doing both steps religiously in that order for each attempt.

Should I be seeing any of my music from the iPad transfer over to the iTunes Music Library? I don't have many titles but I noticed that doesn't seem to work either (assuming it's supposed to).

Apr 3, 2014 9:55 AM in response to TomF-SC

Music that you've purchased from iTunes should copy over, any that you've got from other sources (e.g. copied from CDs and/or bought from other sources) and synced to the iPad from a computer won't copy.

If purchased music isn't copying, then you may be able to redownload that on your Mac's iTunes via the Purchased link under Quicklinks on the right-hand side of the iTunes store homepage

Apr 3, 2014 10:15 AM in response to King_Penguin

I just have music from 2 CDs that I put on the iPad. I'm not concerned with music sync right now. I just thought that might provide clues as to why iBooks is not syncing from iPad to iBooks on my Mac.

I'm new to the Mac as of 4 days ago and like the iPad I've had for over 2 years. I'm hoping it's just something I'm doing wrong/not doing that is preventing this from working properly.

Apr 3, 2014 12:53 PM in response to TomF-SC

iTunes won't copy back music from other sources, it will only copy iTunes purchased music. If you don't have copies of those two CDs anywhere else then there are some programs listed half-way down this page which should be able to copy them back : https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3991

Unlike music, iTunes should copy non-iTunes purchases from the iBooks app on your iPad. iTunes on your Mac is up-to-date - you can check via the iTunes > Check For Updates menu option

User uploaded file

How many PDFs do you have on your iPad e.g. could you email them to yourself. At least one of the programs on that DOC-3991 page can copy PDFs/books from an iPad e.g. DeTune is a free download and you can drag-and-drop items from that app into a Finder window on your Mac to copy them off - so that might be an alternative for the time being, unless somebody else replies with suggestions as to why it's not working via iTunes.

Apr 3, 2014 1:27 PM in response to King_Penguin

I'll check for iTunes updates and look into the work-arounds you suggest. Too many PDFs to email (something like 50-100). Thanks for all your help.

I have another problem that I think might be related (one issue causing multiple problems like iBook sync).

I did something that caused an iPad backup without me asking for it. Once complete, my iPad did not have any files on it. I have all my apps and purchased books etc, but PDFs and files associated with another program I have are all gone. I tried to restore from a previous backup and the files are gone there also! So last night's backup went fine and I had all my stuff this morning. Then this new backup happened and my files are gone, and restoring last night's backup did not bring my files back. Arrrrg!!!

I'm now restoring a backup I did on my PC 1 week ago. I noticed that iTunes does not store multiple backups either on the PC or Mac. They just keep overwriting the same file. I have gotten into the habit of copying the backup file and changing the name before I do a new backup. I don't think that worked on the Mac the way it did for me on the PC.

Apr 7, 2014 1:00 AM in response to TomF-SC

Hi TomF-SC

iPad backups on iTunes:

1. Check what backup you have on iTunes. Open iTunes, click iTunes on the menu bar and choose Preferences. Then choose Devices from the Devices Preferences window. You shall see available Devices Backups. You may find one or more backups of your iPad.

2. Everytime you backup your iPad to iTunes, the existing backup will be updated. So, you only see one backup there. But if you want to keep one backup before doing another. Then you can right-click the backup you want, and select Archive to mark that backup untouch anymore. After doing it, you go back to the Summary tab of your iPad under Devices on the iTunes and tap on the Back Up Now to make another backup. When the process is done, you go back point 1 above and you shall see there are two backups of your iPad.

PDF files on iBooks on iPad do not show on iBooks for Mac:

1. Are you signing in with the same Apple ID on both your iPad App Store and your Mac iTunes for purchases?

If you have more than one Apple ID, the iBooks collections, bookmarks and etc will only sync when iPad and Mac are using the same Apple ID.

2. On iPad, please check Settings > iBooks, check if the Sync Collections (and Sync Bookmarks) are turned on. If not, turn them on. If already on, turn them off, soft-reset your iPad (holding Home and Sleep bottons for 10 sec.) and once back, turn them on. Then use a cable (not by WiFi) to sync your iPad and your Mac.

3. Still not working? Open your iBook, and from Preferences tap General Preferences and check the Sync: Sync bookmarks, highlights and collections across devices.

4. More steps, if necessary...

4.1 On iTunes sidebar Devices, right-click your iPad and do a Transfer Purchases.

4.2 On iBooks from File tab, select Move Books from iTunes...

Wish it helps.

Sync iBooks from iPad to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.