Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access date and time

Setting up Apple TV wifi appears to be working, but TV can't access time and date. Consequently it won't let me continue setup

Apple TV, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 7:45 AM

4 replies

Aug 3, 2015 7:02 AM in response to gjack13

G'day mate,

I had this problem too, and it took me a while to sort it out.

So it turns out, here in Australia, only one Internet Service Provider (ISP) includes or uses the date / time function in their modems. This means, unless your ISP is Telstra, you will most certainly have the activation error you are speaking about.

To fix this problem, create a Personal Hotspot with your iPhone and connect your Apple TV to your iPhone. Activate the Apple TV, then you can go ahead and connect to your standard home WiFi.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

Aug 29, 2015 9:09 AM in response to gjack13

Pete's got it right. I tried (AppleTV gen 2) wifi and wired to no avail. My devices get their IP address from a router that doesn't provide time service. I have an internal firewall that provides both IP addresses (DHCP) and time service (NTP) - after reading his post (at 4AM and close to giving up), I plugged it into that network and it instantly activated. Put it back on my wifi and all is well

Looks like it expects to get that first time check from the same source as its IP address. Given the number of discussions on the topic I read through and suggestions to re-restore it, unplug it, turn it upside down, etc., you'd think the folks at Apple would just put that out there. All of their devices ask you to send information to Apple - it would be nice to get some back now and then.

Can't access date and time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.