Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partition questions for upgrade

Hi

I may choose to partition the hard drive on my mbp when upgrading from snow leopard to mavericks. I used Time Machine to backup.

Any good tutorial on partitioning and installing Mavericks?

For Mav. do I download an installer? So when actually installing it having internet connectivity isn't necessary?

If I've used Time Machine to backup, does it also backup my old Snow Leopard os?

Ok, a stupid question: I just watched this video where it appeared the guy partitioned his drive without erasing the drive. Can one do that? I'd be shocked if it's true.

SO, if I upgrade to Mavericks, I have the option to do an install just over the os I have, not a clean install, right?

best

elmer

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 8:44 AM

You can create another partition without erasing the existing one,

Internet connection is required to install Mavericks.

You can install Mavericks over the existing installation of OSX or you can erase the current OSX and do a clean install.

9 replies

Mar 2, 2014 10:12 AM in response to Csound1

Thank you, sir!

Are you sure about the partitioning part, I just went to Disk Utility, and checked out the partitioning posssiblities.

FIrst it says, 'To erase and partition the selected volume, choose a scheme...'

But then it also says, 'THis partition is the Startup disk, it can not be erased.'

So I'm a bit confused. Is there a tutorial explaining that?

Thanks again!

elmer

Mar 3, 2014 6:20 AM in response to madrich

Thanks, gents for your replies!

My original reason to upgrade was so I could upgrade to Maverick. Now I'm finding that some oldre Apps (including Photoshop.cs (Version 8) aka CS 1 and Microsoft Office X) probably aren't supported, at least that's the official line. Also, my Canon Lide 80 scanner probably isn't either.

I'd almost like to install Mavericks on top of the Snow Leopard and see what does or doesn't work, then if unhappy with the result, clean install partitions with a small (25 gigs) partition of SL and the rest to Mavericks.

But that may rang from unwise to stupid. It's just that having partitioned years ago, I found it to be a bit of a pain just having dual systems and sometimes constantly switching between the 2.

Opinions or suggestions?

Thanks again, gents, your input has been much appreciated!

elmer

Partition questions for upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.