Hi pat from west palm beach,
It's possible the iTunes update did not install completely. The articles below will provide some troubleshooting steps for this:
iOS: Troubleshooting USB connection
When attempting to sync, update, or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you may see one or more of the following symptoms:
- An alert message indicates an unknown error occurred.
- An alert message indicates an unknown error occurred, with a code number starting with "0xE".
- The device unexpectedly disconnects during a sync or restore.
- Photos downloaded from the device appear garbled or not all photos transfer.
- An alert message indicates the USB device cannot operate because it needs more power than is available.
- An alert message indicates "this device can perform faster" if you plug the device into a higher speed USB port.
I hope this information helps ....
Have a great day!