Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air Mid-2011 Display Flickering

Hi all,

For a couple of weeks now, my display on my Macbook Air has been flickering, typically when I raise the lid from sleep and occasionally at random intervals during use (which are becoming more frequent). The best way to describe the issue, is the display has a blue tint which flickers rapidly and the image on screen glitches and jumps about. I've tried searching for similar issues but I thought it would be best just to get some specific feedback. Below are some general specs:

Macbook Air Mid-2011 13inch

Mavericks 10.9.2

1.7 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

I hope you can help me with this and if you could let me know how much this could possibly cost me?

Thanks.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 11:35 AM

Hello, Pelez.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

You may find this article helpful in troubleshooting this issue.

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1573

Cheers,

Jason H.

5 replies

May 26, 2014 9:59 AM in response to Pelez

Hi Pelez -

I had the exact same problem with my mid-2011 13" Macbook Air. I brought it into the apple store since I was still within warranty, and through several visits they ignored the issue because they said they "couldn't replicate it" (in trying for like 2 seconds a the "Genius" bar), but finally it got so bad that it was nearly constant and they could no longer ignore it. The solution was to have my entire screen replaced, so I don't think it was a result of the graphics card. Even if you are not within warranty, I would argue that this is a manufacturer defect and should be replaced by Apple free of charge. Definitely check at an Apple store or call Applecare, bcause this is not something that you caused and not a normal wear and tear item (like a battery can be).

Just curious - is your screen glossy or matte/anti-glare?

May 26, 2014 10:13 AM in response to trwwyccnt

I should have updated this topic, my apologies. I took it to the Apple Store a few weeks ago and thankfully they offered to do exactly as you said, free of charge as I was still under warranty. Couldn't fault the service, they had it done for me by the next day. Completely replaced the top screen and it's been great since. Thanks for the reply though

Macbook Air Mid-2011 Display Flickering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.