Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop Wallpaper reverting back to the default

I have a few desktop wallpapers saved on a folder that I added to the Desktop & Screen Saver directory.

But everytime I log off or restart, my desktop goes back to the original picture.

I found many suggestions tto fix this problem on this forum but they were all dated from 2011 and 2012.

I am not sure which suggestion works better mainly because my present OS X is 10.9.2 and I

don't want to go ahead and delete this or that file and have further problems.

Does anyone know what is the right action to take?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 2:26 PM

Back up all data.

In the Finder, hold down the option key and select

Go Library

from the menu bar. From the Library folder, delete the following item, if it exists:

Caches/com.apple.systempreferences

and move the following items to the Desktop, if they exist:

• Application Support/Dock/desktoppicture.db
  • Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Launch System Preferences and test. If you still have the issue, put the items you moved to the Desktop back where they came from and post again. Otherwise, delete the items.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2014 2:26 PM in response to vschafer

Back up all data.

In the Finder, hold down the option key and select

Go Library

from the menu bar. From the Library folder, delete the following item, if it exists:

Caches/com.apple.systempreferences

and move the following items to the Desktop, if they exist:

• Application Support/Dock/desktoppicture.db
  • Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Launch System Preferences and test. If you still have the issue, put the items you moved to the Desktop back where they came from and post again. Otherwise, delete the items.

Apr 30, 2014 11:51 PM in response to vschafer

Hi all,

I have the same problem, I am on OS X 10.9.2.

Everytime I login with my user, the previously set background image reverts to a solid blue background. The other user sharing this Mac with me has the same trouble.

The weird thing is: none of the files mentioned above exists in my user directory's Library folder.

Do you have any idea about this?

Regards

May 31, 2014 5:54 PM in response to uhuschi

I have the exact same problem on OS X 10.8.5…the wallpaper reverts to a solid blue on both accounts. It doesn't happen at the same time; mine reverted just yesterday, but the other user's was unaffected. It also doesn't happen reliably when shutting down/restarting the computer. I restarted it a few days ago; since then, it has not been shut down, but the wallpaper reverted anyway.

I have moved the files (except for desktoppicture.db, which didn't seem to exist,) and will see what happens.

Jun 26, 2014 4:50 PM in response to emiko-219

I discovered the problem! It may or may not have been affected by deleting the files. My solution was to quit TeamViewer, which was quietly running in the background. I have had to do this several times, as it occasionally starts itself back up. (It is not set to open at login.) When this happens, my laptop sleeps itself, and when I reawaken it, the screen has defaulted to blue and TeamViewer is running. Quitting it restores the set background.

Desktop Wallpaper reverting back to the default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.