Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone VS iPod

Almost two years ago I bought me an iPod Touch to listen to my music. I only bought a 4GB because I didn't really see myself buying 4GB worth of music. But throughout its use I started to realize the iPod isn't just a music player; I was able to use Safari, get on Facebook, use Twitter and Youtube, and play dozens of apps off the app store. In other words, it's pretty nifty.

Well like I said, it's been almost 2 years. The battery is going bad and dies within 20 minutes of use. I've been planning on getting me a new iPod, but then I started to compare it to my cousin's iPhone.

Now I ain't exactly tech-savvy, but as far as I can tell the iPod and iPhone are one in the same. The iPhone surely has a bigger battery, better operating system, and can call/text/etc, but as far as general features and use goes they're pretty much the same. So I started to wonder "Why not just buy an iPhone instead?"

I was wondering if I could just buy me an iPhone and use it like an iPod. No, I don't want to hook up to no cellular plan, and I ain't gonna be using it to text or call folks. I'm just gonna charge it overnight, listen to my music, use Safari (I got WiFi at my house), and play my games and use my apps. I'm just gonna use it like I use my iPod. I figure the iPhone has better updates though, and not to mention better battery life, and it can run a lot more apps than my iPod ever could. Plus, if I ever want a phone, I'll already have one.

So is this possible?

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 12:30 PM

No, not with a new iPhone.

None of the functions work with a new iPhone until it is activated, and you will pay much more at the full retail sales price for an iPhone than with a new iPod Touch.

16 replies

Mar 2, 2014 12:37 PM in response to TJByrum

The iPhone surely has a bigger battery, better operating system,

The current iPod Touch runs the same iOS version as the current iPhone models.

The battery is not much different between the current iPod Touch model and iPhone 5S.

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs.html

• Music playback time: Up to 40 hours when fully charged
  • Video playback time: Up to 8 hours when fully charged

https://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/

• Video playback: Up to 10 hours
  • Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

Mar 2, 2014 12:41 PM in response to TJByrum

No, not with a new iPhone.

None of the functions work with a new iPhone until it is activated, and you will pay much more at the full retail sales price for an iPhone than with a new iPod Touch.

I am going to use MobileKarma.com to get me an iPhone (or iPod), so money ain't no problem. As for activation.... are you saying my iPhone won't do anything until it has a service on it?

The current iPod Touch runs the same iOS version as the current iPhone models.

The battery is not much different between the current iPod Touch model and iPhone 5S.

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs.html

• Music playback time: Up to 40 hours when fully charged
  • Video playback time: Up to 8 hours when fully charged

https://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/

• Video playback: Up to 10 hours
  • Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

There are games which will only run on an iPhone. And some games/apps run smoother on the iPhone. That's what I meant by 'operating system'.

And thanks for the info on the battery.

Mar 2, 2014 12:47 PM in response to TJByrum

As for activation.... are you saying my iPhone won't do anything until it has a service on it?

Yes, a brand new phone has to be activated on a cellular carrier in order to use it at all. A previously used phone can be activated without a cellular carrier only if tbe previously used SIM card is inserted for the activation.

Using an iPhone without a wireless service plan

There are games which will only run on an iPhone. And some games/apps run smoother on the iPhone. That's what I meant by 'operating system'.

But what you actually mean is hardware, not "operating system."

Mar 2, 2014 12:51 PM in response to TJByrum

I am going to use MobileKarma.com to get me an iPhone (or iPod), so money ain't no problem.

Not sure what you mean by "money ain't no problem". A no-contract iPhone 5S 32 GB there in "new" condition is nearly $800. A new 32GB iPod Touch is $299.

I'm saying none of the functions work with a new iPhone until it is activated with cellular service. The same won't apply to purchasing a used iPhone that was previously activated. The potential problem with that will be is when installing an iOS update on a used iPhone that is no longer activated. The SIM card that was used with a previously activated used iPhone must remain in the iPhone in order to install an iOS update and/or when restoring the iPhone with iTunes if wanted or needed.

Mar 2, 2014 12:52 PM in response to modular747

Yes, a brand new phone has to be activated on a cellular carrier in order to use it at all. A previously used phone can be activated without a cellular carrier only if tbe previously used SIM card is inserted for the activation.

Using an iPhone without a wireless service plan

I'll give that link a read in a bit... but what's a SIM card? Will the iPhone come with one? So I just put in that SIM card and it'll be like my iPod?

But what you actually mean is hardware, not "operating system."

Okay then, thanks. The iPhone has better hardware than an iPod, which is another reason I want one instead.

Mar 2, 2014 1:01 PM in response to TJByrum

Will the iPhone come with one?

Not likely with a used iPhone, and if a used iPhone is carrier locked, it will need the no longer activated SIM card that was used with the iPhone when it was activated with cellular service in order to restore the iPhone with iTunes if wanted to needed and to install an iOS update - unless you have access to the same size SIM card that is currently being used with another cell phone with the same carrier.

A new iPhone purchased as carrier locked will come with a SIM card pre-inserted, but none of the functions with a new iPhone can be used until it is activated with cellular service.

Stick with an iPod Touch unless you are ready to activate and use an iPhone with cellular service and that way you can carry around one device instead of two.

Mar 2, 2014 1:05 PM in response to modular747

Google "SIM card." It's the interface between the phone and the cell carrier for all GSM cell phones.

So it just connects my phone to the cell carrier is what you're saying, in layman's terms... but does this matter since I ain't gonna be getting a cell carrier?

No. After activation, the SIM card must be removed to use the phone as an iPod. Read the support article I linked for you.

So you're saying I gotta have an iPhone with the SIM card in order to use it as an iPod, yet I gotta remove it to use it as an iPod? I'm confused.

Let me ask this:

My cousin's getting him a new phone. He's like "Hey TJByrum, I'm done using my iPhone, would you like it?" and I tell him "Sure, I can use it as an iPod." Okay so he switches phones and sells me his iPhone; the iPhone won't let me use music, apps, or wifi-powered internet?

Stick with an iPod Touch unless you are ready to activate and use an iPhone with cellular service and that way you can carry around one device instead of two.

The iPod Touch can't support some of the stuff I want to do. I don't have a cell phone, and I don't need one, so I'll only be carrying one around.

Mar 2, 2014 1:07 PM in response to TJByrum

but does this matter since I ain't gonna be getting a cell carrier?

So you're saying I gotta have an iPhone with the SIM card in order to use it as an iPod, yet I gotta remove it to use it as an iPod? I'm confused.

Okay so he switches phones and sells me his iPhone; the iPhone won't let me use music, apps, or wifi-powered internet?

Again.... READ the article I linked for you!!

Mar 2, 2014 1:10 PM in response to TJByrum

So it just connects my phone to the cell carrier is what you're saying, in layman's terms... but does this matter since I ain't gonna be getting a cell carrier?

Once again, none of the functions work with a new iPhone until it is avtivated. In order to install an iOS update on a used and no longer activated iPhone or restore a used and no longer activated iPhone with iTunes if wanted or needed, the SIM card that was used with the iPhone when it was activated must be inserted in the iPhone.

A no longer activated iPhone can be used as an iPod Touch with the no longer activated SIM card inserted, but you'll need to turn on Airplane Mode followed by turning on Wi-Fi access to prevent constant prompts and notifications about the SIM card inserted needing to be activated.

Good luck.

Mar 5, 2014 4:38 PM in response to TJByrum

TJByrum wrote:

everything worked fine BEFORE she activated it;

That's like saying a new credit card worked fine before activating it.

It means you have no clue what the work "activated" means in general, let alone still having no idea what activating an iPhone involves.

If your sister's phone worked out of the box without having to activate, it is still connected to someone else's account and likely is a stolen phone.

iPhone VS iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.