Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do you need Photoshop to make apps for iPhone?

Which Photoshop would be best to get? If you don't need Photoshop, then where would I design my apps? Can I design it in xcode?

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 1:17 PM

11 replies

Mar 2, 2014 4:33 PM in response to Like Mee

Sorry, I haven't owned a copy of Photoshop since 1997 I think. I think that was a student version I paid $250 for. If you want information on Photoshop, I suggest asking in a Photoshop forum. As a developer, Photoshop has little value for me. Sure it has lots of features, but I am way too busy to learn them. Give me fast and easy instead.

A vector tool is a program that allows you to create vector imagery. These images a composed of mathematical definitions instead of pixels. They can be scaled up or down with no loss of resolution. When you draw with a vector tool, you can make perfect circles and other shapes that would be impossible with freehand drawing in a raster tool like Photoshop. Popular vector formats are Adobe Illustrator, EPS, SVG, and sometimes PDF.

Vector tools are important for developers because you can build your artwork in a vector tool and easily scale it up or down to match your device. You can't just shrink down a big image to make it smaller. It will be smaller, but blurry and lower quality. Using a vector tool gives you more control to shrink down and maintain crisp outlines and recognizable shapes.

Do you need Photoshop to make apps for iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.