Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes / NAS - Disconnect

Hi

Is there any solution to the problem that iMac's do not permanently mount NAS drives (they don't in my experience). My situation is that I have an iMac, a Synology NAS and multiple Apple TV's. Ideally I want a connection from ATV to iMac to NAS which never drops, so my Mrs can play TV Shows/Movies for my daughter without problem. I paid good money for this kit and I expect it to just work. I have tried all sorts to achieve this:-

1. Login Items so that the NAS is mounted and iTunes starts.

2. Apple script to ensure that the NAS is mounted after startup.

3. Looping applescript to check each hour that the NAS connection exists and if not to re-mount it.

4. Applescript to make sure iTunes only starts if the NAS connection exists.

5. Applescript to make sure iTunes quits before the iMac quits to ensure iTunes closes before the NAS connection is disconnected.

There are probably other things I tried but have forgotten and loads of forums searched, all of which raised their own issues which got me no nearer to a permanent connection. I've now re-purposed an old Windows 7 laptop as an "iTunes Server" because windows seems to permanently map NAS drives with ease, although this has it's own separate issue - Home Sharing drops for no reason. Great!

I'm now wondering if a looping Applescript could be written to check if the NAS connection exists and if not re-mount it, close iTunes, edit the iTunes library XML file so that the file paths reference the NAS then re-open iTunes. It's an idea I'll try one day but I've wasted enough time finding out things don't work.

There's my tale....... Has anyone got this kind of setup to work? Permanently!

Thanks

Chris

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 1:22 PM

2 replies

Mar 3, 2014 4:08 AM in response to ctolli

After submitting the above I came up with an alternative solution, I moved all of my iTunes files (library xml etc) to my NAS and pointed the iTunes app to the new library location. Now when the connection drops iTunes does not automatically change my Media location because it can't even find the library xml file to overwrite it. I've also setup an Applescript app which closes iTunes, mounts the NAS and re-opens iTunes in one click and put it in my dock with a multi coloured apple icon. I've told the Mrs to click it if/when the ATV can't connect.

So far so good.

iTunes / NAS - Disconnect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.