Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete macintosh system file?

I have a macintosh classic without an operating system. when I try to install one(7.0), it gives me this error:

The installer cannot copy the file "system" onto the disk "Classic HD" installation cannot continue. Please delete this file and try running the installer again.

I know no way of deleting it without an operating system. ideas?

Other OS

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 2:17 PM

I forget exactly what it's called, but maybe Disk Tools, with that you can erase the whole drive.

5 replies

Mar 2, 2014 5:52 PM in response to Essendrup

Hi,

First of all, is it a plain Macintosh Classic (not just any "classic" Macintosh computer)?

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp198

Yes, as BDAqua indicated, you could boot from a Disk Tools floppy and then erase the hard disk. The best way may be to run the Apple HD SC Setup utility and completely reformat/initialise the hard disk (of course, providing that you are aware of that this will delete everything on the disk).

Alternatively, when booting from a Disk Tools floppy, it should also be possible to just drag any existing files on the hard disk to the Wastebasket/Trash (and empty the Trash).

Are you using an original set of System 7.0 system floppies, or have you created properly sector-copied floppies from the System 7.0 download (via the Make A Copy button in Disk Copy 4.2)?

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.0.x/System_7.0.smi.bin

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Disk_Copy/Disk_Copy_4.2.sea.bin

Jan

Mar 4, 2014 1:49 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

ok, so I deleted the system file using original utilities diskettes, like it asked, then reinitialized the HD. Now it keeps saying that "The disk is damaged: Do you want to initialize it?" showing an image of the Hard drive. I've initialized the Hard drive several times but it keeps saying it's damaged and to reinitialize it. The icon for the HD no longer appears on desktop. my original 7.0 install diskettes no longer even recognize the existence of a hard drive, and Norton couldn't fix it. what now?

Mar 5, 2014 10:44 AM in response to Essendrup

>then reinitialized the HD.

Was this done through the Apple HD SC Setup utility, or was the hard disk initialised via the Erase Disk command in the Special menu?

>I've initialized the Hard drive several times but it keeps saying it's damaged and to reinitialize it.

We cannot rule out that the hard disk in fact is damaged (for example, a disk surface problem).

>The icon for the HD no longer appears on desktop. my original 7.0 install diskettes no longer even recognize the existence of a hard drive,

Do you have access to another older Macintosh computer (with a built-in floppy drive) where you could produce a new set of system floppies from Apple downloads (see above)? If so, you could also modify a startup floppy to hold another SCSI formatting utility. Please post back with information about available hardware (models and operating systems).

Jan

Delete macintosh system file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.