Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

removing dropbox on Lion 10.7.5

I am trying to remove Dropbox from my iMac (Lion 10.7.5). I have been following instructions which were pointed out in a apple community response to another lister.

Unfortunately in my haste, I closed the Dropbox account before I actually did the removals, I am thinking that wasn't the right way to go about this.

I have gotten to the "removing Dropbox application settings:" using the Go to folder and pasting ~/.dropbox, and this changed to ~/.dropbox-master.

There it had instance.dbx and hostkeys and something else (?). I dragged those to the trash and then used the secure empty trash, but started to panic that possibly I shouldn't do that until I confirm with someone in the Community who actually knows about this (as I obviously don't).

So I stopped the secure empty trash and dragged the hostkeys out to the desktop. I didn't know what hostkeys was, but it had the same date as the other Dropbox files.

Currently there isn't anything in the .dropbox-master folder, but in the trash, there is the Dropbox.app, the Getting Started.pdf and the instance.dbx.

Does anyone know if I should continue to securely empty those items from the trash, as well as the hostkeys or does the hostkeys apply to something else and need to remain?

Also, I had downloaded the Dropbox onto my iPad Mini and I wonder if there is anything to do to delete that, as I did it by holding down the desktop icon and then exing it out.

Thanks to anyone who cares to help.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), iOS 7.0.6, iPad Mini, v. 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 1:24 PM

5 replies

Mar 2, 2014 1:46 PM in response to rack0 tack0

Thanks, rack0 tack0

Yes I was following these instructions but when it added the -master to the ~/.dropbox, that wasn't listed and so I wondered about it.

Then also it doesn't say anything specifically about the hostkeys and I wanted to confirm it was ok to trash that.

Thank you in advance if there is an answer to these items.

Also, thank you for confirming that the iPad Mini process was done correctly.

removing dropbox on Lion 10.7.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.