Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod shuffle not recognized by computer or iTunes

Don't know what happened but all of a sudden my iPod shuffle is not showing up in iTunes or on my computer. Bought new cables and still nothing Left it on the computer to charge up.... now I get flashing red lights. Followed all of the troubleshooting recommendations and still nothing. Any other ideas?

iPod shuffle (4th generation), Windows 7

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 1:41 PM

12 replies

Mar 2, 2014 2:13 PM in response to kid1129

It's possible that the USB port is not providing enough power. As a test, shut down (power off) your computer. Disconnect all USB devices, except standard keyboard/mouse (if used), including USB hub. If the computer is a laptop, connect it to its power adapter so that it's not running on battery power. Do this to reset the shuffle

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1655

Start up computer, run iTunes, and connect the shuffle by itself to a direct USB port on computer.

Mar 2, 2014 2:54 PM in response to kid1129

If the same thing happens when connected to a USB power adapter, then it is more likely to be a problem on the shuffle (assuming the adapter provides sufficient power). The flashing red light may indicate that the shuffle's battery is worn out or otherwise faulty, and is not able to take a charge.

If the shuffle is less than one year from purchase date, it is covered by warranty if the cause is a defective battery.

Mar 3, 2014 6:35 AM in response to kid1129

Thanks. Just one last situation. I will sometime use my Shuffle to provide music through a audio mixer as background for events I host. While it has never been a problem in the past, could this use cause any damage to it? Lastly, I also have not paid attention to how many times I may have connected it to the computer to add additional music and mistakenly turn it off....thus draining the battery. Could either of these situations be the cause for it not being recognized?

Mar 3, 2014 12:41 PM in response to kid1129

You can connect it to something other than headphones, such as a car audio system or external powered speakers, so an "audio mixer" should not be a problem. And it should not be a problem to drain the battery, as long as it does not remain in a completely drained state for an extended period of time, such as a few months. Lithium batteries do wear out over time, based on the number of charge cycles.

Mar 4, 2014 6:19 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Understood. In this case it was just overnight. So do you have any other alternatives? I've tried everything you have offered with no results. With no way to get 'inside' can't tell what the problem is. After trying three different cables, and charging sources...I got nothing but red flashing lights along with a matching tone when I plug in headphones...similar to what happens when the batteries are low. I may have to be resolved to the fact that it may just be "fried". Appreciate your assistance. Open to any other options.

Mar 4, 2014 2:26 PM in response to kid1129

You said at the beginning that it does not appear in iTunes, but if over the course of trouble-shooting, you got it recognized by iTunes, you can try doing a Restore on the shuffle. This will erase the iPod, re-install its software, and set it to default setting. The Restore button is on the shuffle's Summary screen in iTunes. This will rule out some type of software or settings issue on the shuffle.

If you did not have that USB power adapter, I'd also suggest ruling out a problem with the USB port not providing sufficient power. But since you still get the same flashing red light with the power adapter, it is less likely to be a problem on the USB port. However, if you are connecting the shuffle through a USB hub, make sure you try it on a direct USB port with other USB devices disconnected.

iPod shuffle not recognized by computer or iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.