Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.9.2 Mavericks and can no longer connect to our SMB file share on the network.

Smb was working under 10.9.1. Now smb and usning the finder I get "connection failed". Both of my NAS are not out when i am using my mac book pro thru the wifi connection. Is any one else have the same problem?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 2:28 PM

75 replies

Mar 5, 2014 7:58 AM in response to joekmaclinux

Did some snooping around and found this (thanks to the tip of surogat70 that this could be SMB2 related) -> http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20131122083837447

You can change the new default system behavior that uses SMB2 protocol back to SMB. Seems to work for me anyways. I can mount my network drives again.

Not very stabile though. The disks unmount themself's after a certain time not being used it seems.

I can life with it for now. But please fix this ASAP Apple. It seems that it becomes a trend that with every "up"date of osx something very essential for me is breaking. It's becoming a nuisance.

I didn't know about the SMB situation before this. But being able to browse network storage is for some mission critical! Don't implement new protocols that aren't fully and reliably working.

Mar 7, 2014 1:20 AM in response to joekmaclinux

Same story here - smb:// worked under 10.9.1, but the Update 10.9.2 broke it.

Some facts:

• Mac Book Pro Retina 2012
  • Network connection is over WLAN (The connection is very stable and no issues else where)
  • The issue seems to be caused when there are larger files (> 500MB) in the share
  • smb:// works for shares with lots of folders but only small files in them
  • smb:// and cifs:// are both almost unusable
  • smb:// shows a blank screen for ages- Finder will eventually hang up
  • cifs:// will connect fast (wow!), but the connection is very unstable for larger files

The funny part is, that Mavericks (pre 10.9.2) was the first OS X which fixed most SMB issues of its predecessor. (SMB2 was somwhat slow, but quite usable) Now, I can not really use my Mac to work...

Moral of the story, I think I will switch to Ubuntu 14 when it is released in April - it should support HDPI Displays.

Mar 7, 2014 9:34 AM in response to paulo555

Sorry don't have any tips for you. But I also have a lot of trouble with the "quicklook" function when using it on network storage.

If I use quicklook on a file (.pdf, .mp3, mp4, txt, etc, etc, etc), the finder instantly crashes. This is a serious disturbance in my workflow.

Reading your problem I think these two are related (although I didn't check logfiles, at the moment I have a little bit of a "why bother" attitude towards Apple bugs).

Mar 7, 2014 12:24 PM in response to joekmaclinux

Apple spent so many years to build themselves up, to challenge the pc market

Five mistakes which puts their head in the sand

1) 10.6 Rosetta gone

2) Java so screwed

3) Server going down hill

4) New OS every year

5) This smb issue

Even like the ipad no flash - Why????

We do our head in for third party apps

Really starting to consider the pc

I might suggest it to all my work sites to stay clear from apple

Being a network administrator for 5 sites, there issues become my

Apple do yourself a favour & really think about what your doing?

What you have achieved & stop acting like top cop.

Your product is good but not that good

I been using Windows 8.1 but you install the classic shell & it works really really well.

Mar 8, 2014 6:19 AM in response to PaakWaan

Here is some thing I have a mac min running OS X Mountain Lion (version 10.8) which was upgrade to os 10.9.2 , let say this again upgrade. all of the shared drive work just fine. But when i got my new macbook pro laptop with OS X Mavericks 10.9. the only way to get to the network drives was using smb:// and now with 10.9.2 nothing works. having a network system is a back bone to any os,

10.9.2 Mavericks and can no longer connect to our SMB file share on the network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.