Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

exporting library vs exporting masters // backing up

Hi there

Im just trying to export the highest possible resolution images so that I can make multiple back ups.

However, what is the difference between exporting a library, vs exporting masters?
When I export a library and I open it up again from an external hard drive the metadata says they are all RAW files, which is what I want. Is the damange in doing this is that I can then only ever open them up in Aperture?

What about DNG files, does aperture convert to dng?

Perhaps there are other aperture users that would like to share their backing up system because mine needs total re-doing

Thanks!

-Mollt

Aperture 3

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 3:43 PM

1 reply

Mar 3, 2014 1:39 AM in response to mollycusack

Your master files contain all the work you did in camera. They are your image files produced by the camera.

Your library contains all the work you did on the computer. Things like rating, edits, slideshows, albums, etc.

If you export the master files, you are only backing up the master files, not all the work you did on the computer.

To make a backup copy of your library, don't use export, use finder and make a copy from there (export works as well, but gives a new internal library ID so is not technically an exact copy). By making a copy, this backs up all the work you've done on your computer and probably your master files as well (see next comment).

You also need to understand the difference between Managed Files and Referenced Files. You decide this when you originally import the files into Aperture. By default, it will copy the images into the Aperture library (managed files), so when you copy the library, you are making a copy of both your images and all the work you did on the computer).

However, if, when importing, you chose not to store the image files in the library (Referenced files) then making a copy of the library only backs up the work you did on the computer, not your master files. So you'll need a backup copy of those too, either by copying the folder that contains them in finder, or by using Export Masters, or using your backup software.

Andy

exporting library vs exporting masters // backing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.