Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TIME MACHINE BACKUP!!!

My question is this... I have an Asus RT-AC68U router and a portable LACIE rugged hard drive.

Can i do a time machine backup wirelessly pluging in the hard drive to the router or any other way not using a time capsule???

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 3:10 PM

2 replies

Mar 2, 2014 3:27 PM in response to Rlmejicx

This is going to be one of those situations where you will not know if something works until you try it out for yourself.

Here I assume that you have already verified with Asus that the USB port on the router will support a hard drive.

The hard drive must be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to accept the Time Machine backups, though. Time Machine will not be able to back up using other formats.

Keep in mind that what you will be doing will not likely be supported by Apple, so you will be on your own as far as making this work, or fixing problems.

Please let us know how things go.

Mar 2, 2014 3:40 PM in response to Rlmejicx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc3oYW1cmcQ

Time Machine is there apparently.. how reliable it will be.. well .. as Bob says .. you are the guinea pig to tell us.

Do not be surprised if it is unreliable.. many people find TM backups to non-apple routers and even the airport Extreme new edition which is supposed to be compatible is unreliable.

It may simply be easier to not use TM.. buy a different backup product like CCC.

Particularly for Mavericks a non-apple backup software makes loads of sense.

TIME MACHINE BACKUP!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.