Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't access my hard drive through afp

I am running Mac OS X 10.9.2 on a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Imac with 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory.

I have an Airport Extreme Model MC340LL A with a USB Hitachi 640 GB hard drive plugged in USB. When I give someone my AFP address this message comes up.

There was a problem connecting to the server “xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx”.

The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again.

Filesharing is turned on and the drive shows up in finder under "Shared".

Can anyone help me out?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Airport Extreme Model MC340LL A

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 3:31 PM

4 replies

Mar 2, 2014 4:33 PM in response to Bryan0123456789

Go up to the Airport User uploaded file image right click and then choose the correct server by clicking on it and a check mark will show next to the server you have chosen. This will automaticly connect you to the server you have chosen. Remember that if your Server is Password protected you will need to enter the password to connect to it.

And, hopefully you have it Password Protected for your Safety, It is a good idea to set up one of the 3 and remember from left to right the stronger the security.

WEP, WPA, WPA2

Cheers

Don

can't access my hard drive through afp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.