Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.1.5 stops song playback early

This problem only started after I downloaded this new update. Occasionally a song will just stop, and the next one will start. It doesn't happen with every song. I already made sure that these songs don't have a specific start/end time, and I dont think there are any any apple remotes around that could be affecting it.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 4:38 PM

11 replies

Apr 11, 2014 5:59 PM in response to verymuch

This has been happening to me constantly, with all kinds of music I try to add to my library. It's a recent problem, likely related to this version of iTunes. I've never had problems with this before but it's to the point now where I can't even add any new music anymore because half of it won't work properly. The files I try have come from various sources and are various qualities, but they all seem susceptible.

It's really frustrating. I'd like to know if Apple is trying to debug this for the next version or something.

Apr 14, 2014 10:28 AM in response to verymuch

+1

MBP, Late 2011, 15-inch, 10.8.5, iTunes 11.1.5. Playback is through a current model AppleTV connected to an audio amplifier system. Sometimes I can't even get through a single album without the music suddenly stopping all by itself several times. Other times it'll go for hours, but eventually it will stop. All of the music comes from purchased CDs ripped with previous versions of iTunes. It's not unique to one song or album, and isn't repeatable as to which track is playing when the stoppage occurres. Tapping the Play key on the keyboard or clicking the play icon in iTunes is all that's needed to resume play, but that's pretty inconvenient when I'm at the other end of the house or working up on a ladder.

Apr 17, 2014 11:57 PM in response to sjmarbu

From what I understand, this is a different issue (though another one I also have on occasion). The issue being discussed in this thread is about songs that will prematurely skip to the end and skip to the next song. There's no stop in playback, just... a giant chunk of a song missing from a perfectly good file. Like when you get a glitch in a cd or something.

Edit: Although ALL these playback errors should be fixed!

May 9, 2014 7:07 PM in response to verymuch

Okay, here's something interesting that others may want to test.

An album I was listening to kept cutting off every tune short of the end.

I realised I was listening to it on shuffle so I switched to play from beginning to end and guess what? No early cut-offs.

So in my case at least it is something to do with how Shuffle is working, it seems to be misreading the track end-time.
Anyone else want to try & see?

Jul 21, 2014 12:56 PM in response to FrancoSanta

Noticed in 11.3 - that there seems to be a problem with speaker volume so the other question is - are you doing other things that may be trying to access the speakers at the same time.

Settings: Preferences - play back - is cross fade songs checked?

Also - have you sent Apple Feedback through Itunes or Apple support on this problem?

Across all platforms - IT software development and IT testing tries to get in as many ways of testing at they can - but with so many variables it is impossible to cover 100% so when software is published they rely on feedback and calls to their support area to pick up on problems - not Support communities that may carry simple questions on how to use the software.

Jul 31, 2014 6:14 PM in response to verymuch

I'm having this problem with iTunes 11.3 so Apple certainly haven't fixed it.
My suspicion is that it is something to do with gapless playback not reading tracks correctly on shuffle.

I am presently trying an experiment to see if it fixes the problem. Although you can no longer manually control gapless you can over-ride it by setting songs to cross-fade. I've done this & I'll see if it fixes the problem. May take a while to check because the issue can be pretty random.

Maybe others may want to try this too & report back?

User uploaded file

Aug 5, 2014 8:07 PM in response to verymuch

Okay, don't know if this is of any help to anyone...

I tried the crossfade thing (above) & it didn't work.

I went back & looked at the files causing the problems & they had all been MP3s that I had just dragged & dropped into iTunes & let it do the converting.

I deleted them all & this time converted to Apple Lossless using Adapter and then imported the resulting files into iTunes.

All early cut-off problems have gone away so it would seem the issue is with Apples conversion process.

iTunes 11.1.5 stops song playback early

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.