Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Port forwarding time capsule

I want to set remote access to my TC.

These are my settings:

- time capsule set in brigde mode connected to my cable modem/router (thomson tg784). The time capsule must be set in bridge because of double NAT issues.

- I have dynDNS from no-ip.com set in my ISP modem

- I opened a port (548) on my ISP modem (thomson tg 784)

- I got stuck in opening the port 548 on aiport utility. On the network settings, when I try to open a port, a window pops-up asking for ipv6 adress and the specific UDP and TCP port number. Where can I find my ipv6 adress? my ISP only works with ipv4.

I don´t understand much about router settings and I´ve been searching the web for at least a week with no success...

Please help me !!!

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 5:44 PM

With the TC in bridge behind the THomson there is no need to open ports on it.. you are accessing it .. not forwarding through it.

So there is no need to port forward.

As long as 548 is set to the correct address of the TC and it remains static then everything should work just fine.

Make sure you do not have blockage or private IP on the test wan connection.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2014 5:44 PM in response to mikevar3

With the TC in bridge behind the THomson there is no need to open ports on it.. you are accessing it .. not forwarding through it.

So there is no need to port forward.

As long as 548 is set to the correct address of the TC and it remains static then everything should work just fine.

Make sure you do not have blockage or private IP on the test wan connection.

Mar 3, 2014 4:57 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you LaPastenague,

I´ve been reading a lot of your replies in this forum and you are always very helpful.

It makes sense not to forward ports on time capsule.

To make my TC address static I should go to Airport Utility> Time caspule> internet tab> then change it from DHCP to static?? and then type in my DNS server (which I can find in my ISP router under TCP/ Ipv4??

Where can I find test wan connection?

Sorry about these question but I´m not a very tech person...

I´ve tried to access remotely the TC from outside my home network and the time capsule shows up under the shared folder in finder but when I can´t access it.

Also in finder, when I try to go to server and type in my host name (from no-ip.com) I can´t connect...

I feel that I´m very near to set everything correctly....

Mar 3, 2014 12:58 PM in response to mikevar3

You are using a Thomson TG784 and it should actually do the static IP for you. As soon as you forward 548 to the TC, (which is bridged and using dhcp on internet tab) the Thomson itself will lock the IP address.. but YOU need to make sure this is the case. Make sure you know what the IP is and make sure it never changes.

Getting remote access working is relatively easy from that point. As long as your computer that you are testing from is getting a public IP or you are not behind a firewall blocking access to what is a non-standard port.

The Tesserax method is to port translate.

See method 3 here.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3413

The stuff about the TC itself you can ignore.. but notice how instead of using port 548, they use translation from 8888 to 548. This can help if you have other issues where the ports below 1000 are blocked for instance. But I just use 548.

I´ve tried to access remotely the TC from outside my home network and the time capsule shows up under the shared folder in finder but when I can´t access it.

Also in finder, when I try to go to server and type in my host name (from no-ip.com) I can´t connect...

Ping your no-ip.com address from your computer. ie open terminal and type

ping fredblogs.noip.com (whatever the url you get is).

Firstly does it resolve.. ie does it attempt to ping a real IP.

Don't worry if the ping is rejected.. The Thomson has the ping responder off by default.

(but it may be worthwhile turning on ping responder in the TG784 at least until you know things are working. Just google as you need to do it via command line. )

I want you to make sure the IP that is given to you is the current public IP you get on the Thomson. You can discover that several way.. but the easiest is just to test from the home network.

So test.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Find out your home IP address. BTW how stable is it.. does it change every day?? Find out.

So you know your IP address.. 200.100.50.105 (pretend)

Is that the IP you get when you test the no-ip.com address.. if not the address is not updating correctly and will never work because it has not got the right IP.

When you get to wherever it is you do WAN test.. ie from your workplace or internet cafe or whatever.

In finder use Go, Connect to Server.

Type in AFP://200.100.50.105 (not this IP.. your real actual home public IP).

And tell me what happens.

Mar 3, 2014 4:13 PM in response to mikevar3

Once again thank you for your reply

I finnaly got it to work. You were correct.

The problem was in the thompson router wich was locking a wrong ip for the time capsule when I did the port forward. I manually set the ip and locked it.

I can now access my time capsule out of my home network. In finder when I use Go, Connect to Server it connects either entering my host name from no-ip or my home public ip. 🙂

However now I have another problem: I cannot conect to the usb drive connected to time capsule (neither in my home network or internet cafe).

Do you know what might be causing this?

Mar 3, 2014 5:34 PM in response to mikevar3

If it's not one thing it's another. 😉

Is the USB drive formatted Mac OS extended Journaled.. forget using anything else.. although FAT32 is supposed to work.. nothing else does. But the HFS+ is the only format suited to large drives..

Forget trying to connect to it remotely until it shows up locally.

Does the disk even appear in airport utility?

In many cases even powered disks are not compatible and certainly self-powered ones should not be used unless you have the latest version TC. And even then I don't think it is a good idea.

Mar 4, 2014 4:40 AM in response to LaPastenague

what I don´t understand is that before I changed the settings in my ISP router (thomson) I could acess the usb drive in my home network. I could see it in finder under shared and access it´s files.

With the new settings I can see the usb drive but I can´t connect to it. I can only connect to time capsule either in my home network or remotely.

The only change I made in the ISP router was the time capsule ip when setting port forwarding.

To my understanding the usb drive should be available in the same ip as the time capsule since they are connected...

I´ll keep on trying to find a solution for this and we´ll let you know if I do.

Mar 4, 2014 6:34 AM in response to mikevar3

Have you powered the whole network off and rebooted it.. including the USB drive?

Are you connected to the TC directly by ethernet or wireless? Do not connect via the Thomson.

It doesn't make sense if you can access the internal disk that you cannot access the USB disk.. but then strange stuff happens.. the USB has never been as reliable as the internal disk because it simply refuses to spin up. That is why you cannot access it. Feel the drive.. if you try to access it does it spin up.. if not force it by rebooting.

IMHO usb network drives are a no no.. they never work well enough to bother with. Buy a small single or dual disk NAS.. that has a real IP address and real speed.

Mar 5, 2014 2:38 AM in response to LaPastenague

Once again you were correct. I was connecting an 8GB pen drive to the usb on time capsule just to check if it worked. Before I set the port forward for remote access I could see the drive and connect to it in finder, so I assumed it was formatted Mac OS extended Journaled.

After the port forward it stopped working. I checked the formating and it was in FAT32. After formatting it to Mac OS extended Journaled everything is working!!! 🙂 in my home network and from the internet cafe.

Thank you very much LaPastenague.

My plan was to connect a usb drive to TC and use it as a network drive. I would keep the TC disk just for timemachine and use a usb drive for all the other stuff. You are against this?

If I´m using TC just for time machine it seems like a waste of money (I already had a decent router from my ISP). Now that I have TC set up I wish I had bought a good NAS drive like Synology, which I could use for time machine and for networking....

Anyways, I thank you again for helping me! May the Force be with you! 😉

Port forwarding time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.