Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my computer isn't recognizing my phone and syncing to iTunes

I don't know what happened, but my computer doesn't recognize my phone and won't sync to iTunes. Whenever I plug in my phone to my computer, it charges it and asks if I want to trust this computer and then that's it. I followed the troubleshoot stuff but it doesn't seem to work because under the USB thing the Apple Device thing isn't there. I'm not really sure what to do. I'm not sure if maybe the USB portal in my computer is broken or what it is. I'm hesitant to uninstall and reinstall iTunes because I don't want to lose all my music. Any solution and advice?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 5:01 PM

Deleting and reinstalling iTunes does not touch your iTunes library just as deleting Word or Excel on your PC does not touch your saved Word and Excel documents. The iTunes library is stored completely separate from the iTunes application. Your iTunes library is accessed by iTunes, not stored within the app itself.

Regardless, it is a good idea to include your iTunes library with your computer's backup along with all other important data to be on the safe side. Important to do regardless if a Mac or PC but even more so with a PC due to constant virus, adware, and spyware concerns.

You can try reinstalling iTunes first.

If no change, best to delete iTunes and all related software before reinstalling including QuickTime.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1538

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2014 5:01 PM in response to alexandreak

Deleting and reinstalling iTunes does not touch your iTunes library just as deleting Word or Excel on your PC does not touch your saved Word and Excel documents. The iTunes library is stored completely separate from the iTunes application. Your iTunes library is accessed by iTunes, not stored within the app itself.

Regardless, it is a good idea to include your iTunes library with your computer's backup along with all other important data to be on the safe side. Important to do regardless if a Mac or PC but even more so with a PC due to constant virus, adware, and spyware concerns.

You can try reinstalling iTunes first.

If no change, best to delete iTunes and all related software before reinstalling including QuickTime.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1538

Mar 2, 2014 5:04 PM in response to alexandreak

If you can't see Apple mobile device support on your computer then thats the cause of the problem, what you can try to do is, go to www.apple.com/itunes/download and download itunes w/o uninstalling itunes and see after that if you can find Apple mobile device support if no go on that you have no choice but to uninstall/install itunes. You dont have to worry about your library even if you uninstall itunes you can still get your library back when you install it again, just make sure to uninstall it completly starting with

1.iTunes

2.Apple Software Update

3.Apple Mobile Device Support (if you cant find this just skip)

4.Bonjour

5.Apple Application Support

after that download itunes on same link provided above and you should be all set

good luck!

my computer isn't recognizing my phone and syncing to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.