Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive causes my computer to shut down

I have used this external HD since I got my computer in 2010 and all of a sudden my computer hates it. The HD connects through the usb and as soon as I plug it in my computer shuts down then restarts with a gray screen telling me it shut down because of a problem and to press a key. There is plenty of space on the backup because I clean off after I do the most recent backup. Does anyone know why this is happening??

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 6:12 PM

7 replies

Mar 4, 2014 8:08 PM in response to vwmac2004

It might mean the external hard drive is putting out too much power, but that may not be the case if it works with other computers. Did you see if other computers do the same thing if you have another computer to test it on? If it works with other computers it is most likley not the hard drive. If it does not work with other computers it is the hard drives fault. Also, is it bus powered or do you need to plug it in a wall?

External hard drive causes my computer to shut down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.