Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

move shared iTunes music folder to a new computer and set up

Hello;

I am trying to set up 2 new iTunes accounts on our new computer...

In our old we each had an iTunes accounts with our own libraries but the music files were in a shared music folder.

I copied the shared music folder from our old computer on to an external drive and then copied it to Users/shared/itunes music

I then pointed both new Itunes to that location for the music but when I open itunes in both it does not show anything..

I also copied the old iTunes folder to each new account

Why are the 2 new iTunes acct not seeing the music?

I do not care so much about playlists etc..just wanted the music transferred over in the shared file..(music combined Itunes purchases plus ripped CD..)

Thanks

mac

Mac mini (Late 2012), iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 6:05 PM

3 replies

Mar 2, 2014 7:15 PM in response to Mac Steele

You are encountering one of the major disadvantages with having library files in one place and media in another. You do not get iTunes to see moved media by changing media storage location in preferences. That only changes the location for anything added from that point on, it does not get iTunes to actively search the new location. This problem is really amplified by you moving media to a new drive.

If it were just one user you could use iTunes to do the moving by using consolidate/organize your media to the new location and the library doing that would work, but the other one wouldn't.

Try this. Play a track. iTunes will ask you to find the file it should use. Find it in its new home. iTunes should ask if you want it to find others and see if it can. This only works if you have iTunes set to automatically organize your library.

move shared iTunes music folder to a new computer and set up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.