Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I make the keyboard display lower case letters?

Sorry for possibly a totally n00bie question....I'm completely new to Apple products. I just bought my first Apple product yesterday, iPad Air (full size).

My question is in regard to the virtual keyboard. It displays the letters in upper case, so it makes it difficult to determine between upper and lower when I press the shift key because it doesn't look any different.

Is there a way to make the keyboard display lower case letters when in lower case mode and vica versa for upper case?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 7:38 PM

Sorry, no.

You can lock it in app caps by double tapping the shift button. ANd you just have to get used to knowing that you're defaulted to lower case unless you specify otherwise

7 replies

Mar 30, 2015 11:03 AM in response to kingtermite

In my opinion, this is still one the silliest oversights in design by Apple. They can make the little switch button on flashlight icon in the control tray toggle between up and down, but they can't toggle the case of the letters to reflect the status of the Shift key? Seriously...without actually using your phone, can you tell me which icon represents Shift being enabled? Is it the black arrow with the white background or the white arrow with the grey background?

Can I make the keyboard display lower case letters?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.