Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new to iMovie and need a little help

used iMovie back in the day (7-8 years ago) when I was in high school for a few fun projects and what not, but nothing super intense/serious. Trying to use it again (purchased from app store) to make a pretty simple little movie with pictures and music and pretty easy stuff. the video says it is in 720 and I found where you can "share" it and save it I guess as a 1080, but it won't let me select that option at all. It is un-highlighted. It also says its only compatible with an iMac but all the other ones like ipad minis, iphones, and other things I'd love to watch it on aren't highlighted and won't let me select them either.

I guess what my overall question is how to get my movie to a higher resolution and be able to watch it on other Mac devices? Where do I go to be able to choose between resolutions, and compatible devices and stuff like that?

iMovie (iOS)

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 9:32 PM

1 reply

Mar 10, 2014 2:09 PM in response to joshbarber17

My guess is that the file you're trying to export isn't in 1080p. If you didn't shoot it in 1080p, then you can't export it in 1080p.

Another important point is, where you are uploading it. If you upload it to YouTube in 1080p or even 720p, it might be fairly impossible to watch it because they wont stream enough data, fast enough. Everyone will be watching it with multiple intermittent breaks while the video loads. But there are plenty of other, and better options than YouTube. Personally, I bought a Plus membership on Vimeo for $60 per year which allows me to upload up to 5GB per week in full HD, and they play beautifully.

new to iMovie and need a little help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.