Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you change permissions of "Home" folders on a Mavericks Server??

I have a test server and test machine. I installed Mavericks and the OSX server app onto my test server and installed Mavericks onto my test mac.

I have created a Folder which will house the home folders of users, made this into a shared folder, ticked the option that allows it to be used as a homes folder. I seem to have read/write access to the folder but I have not got access to the folders within the home folder; the users home folders. As an administrator I need access to all the folders.

I changed permissions to add myself read/write access to the folders but then this breaks the home sync and when the user logs in I get an error message that says the "Home folder is not where it is supposed to be" or something along those lines.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 12:56 AM

2 replies

Mar 5, 2014 12:44 PM in response to addiosamigo

You can enable root by gui if needed.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Directory Uitily

When you open the Directory Utility you will have to click the lock on the lower left and authenticate as an admin user. Next go to the menu bar and the "edit" menu. Click edit, then click "enable root user". It iwll prompt you to create a root password. Once you do you will have the "other" option at the login window after restart. Or if you just enter username and password, use "root" for username and the password you created for password.

When you are done doing whatever you need make sure to reopen Directory Utility and disable the root user.

How do you change permissions of "Home" folders on a Mavericks Server??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.