Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor 4.1.1 ignoring H.264 settings

Hi there,

Since updating to Mavericks, it's been a hassle to use Compressor 3.5 using multiple cores through qmaster. I managed to get it up and running using terminal commands, but this workflow isn't ideal. So I decided to use Compressor 4.1.1 instead.

Now, my problem is that Compressor seems to ignore the video quality setting in the H.264 tab. It doesn't matter if I choose Least or Highest quality or something in between. The result is always a file that seems to be encoded using the Highest Quality.

My source file is a QT reference file exported from Avid 7.0. So one QT file that points to the MXF video and to a Wave audio Mixdown.

I'm running 10.9.2 and Compressor 4.1.1. Compressor 3.5 and FCP 7 are also on my system.

Any ideas ?

Thx,

Alain

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 2:28 AM

6 replies

Mar 3, 2014 10:40 AM in response to Studio X

Yeah that's what I've been trying, but Compressor ignores the Quality slider when encoding to H.264. I am using the Quicktime export setting, and not the H.264 for Apple devices setting

The results of encoding a 2 minute 1080p clip using the settings on the screenshot gave me a 296Mb file. When I move the slider all the way to the right I get the same result.

I tried encoding to MP4, luckily the datarate slider does make a difference.

So apparently the bug is related to the Quickime Export setting.

User uploaded file...

Mar 4, 2014 9:56 AM in response to Russ H

No, I just used the slider.

This bug seems limited when you want to export to Quicktime (*.mov) since I don't have problems encoding to MP4 or H.264 for Apple Devices.

It appears that Compressor only takes the parameters into account that you change in it's own interface. When exporting to Quicktime, you can't change the parameters inside Compressor, you need to click 'change' and then change the values in the Quicktime 7 window. But Compressor seems to ignore those values.

Are you able to recreate this bug ?

Compressor 4.1.1 ignoring H.264 settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.