Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running two 1920 x 1200 VGA Monitors on Mac Mini (only bought it because Apple said I could do this!)

I am able to run one 1920 x 1200 VGA monitor using the Thunderbolt socket and a genuine Apple Thunderbolt to VGA adapter, but I can't get a 1920 x 1200 resolution from the HDMI socket - no good for CAD work! However, I've just 'won' on Ebay and am waiting to receive a genuine Apple DVI to VGA adapter.

I read somewhere that the HDMI socket will only put out 1080 to an aftermarket HDMI to VGA adapter but that it will put out 1200 to a genuine Apple HDMI to DVI adapter, which I already have after Apple convinced me to buy it. Will it work if I use my genuine Apple HDMI to DVI adapter and this new Genuine Apple DVI to VGA adapter to connect the second monitor?

If not, how the blazes am I going to get both screens running at 1920 x 1200?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 1:22 AM

16 replies

Mar 3, 2014 5:31 AM in response to Deehaich

For these:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/VIDU2DVIA/

http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/p/1505/K33974AM/universal-multi-displ ay-adapter.aspx#.UxSD9_mwKBo

You;

- Install the provided software

- plug one end into an USB port of the mini

- in the otherend of the adopter you conneect the included DVI to VGA adopter and connect the VGA to your monitor

Mar 3, 2014 8:43 AM in response to lllaass

Hi, forgive my pedantry and my continuing to doubt the gadget you suggest, but most of the gadgets I've already bought to no avail said something similar, but none actually supported 1920 x 1200 and the video for this gadget does not actually give 1920 x 1200 as an option...

The Mac Mini info does say the HDMI socket gives a 1080 output to VGA and 1200 to DVI. If I've got 1200 at the DVI, what can I use to take the signal from the DVI to VGA?

Mar 3, 2014 10:04 AM in response to Deehaich

That lin includes:

Which resolutions are supported on the Mac mini (Mid 2010) and later?

The HDMI port supports up to 1080p on HDMI connections. With the HDMI to DVI adapter, the HDMI port will work with resolutions up to 1920 x 1200.

Note it says HDMI and HDMI to DVI adopter

It also includes:

Can the HDMI port drive analog displays (VGA displays for example) using adapters?

No. The HDMI port will drive digital connections—such as DVI—using the adapter that came with the Mac mini, but cannot be used for analog displays such as VGA. You can purchase a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter separately to drive analog displays.

Mar 3, 2014 12:50 PM in response to Deehaich

Forgive me, but you seem to be drifting from the original question, which, in essence, was "how do I get this silver fun-size pizza box to run two VGA monitors at 1920 x 1200, like Apple said I could...?" .having already bought more gadgets on false promises than I care to think about and having seen a video of the gadget you suggest in which 1920 x 1200 is conspicuous by its absence, I'm still in the market for a dead cert solution. You can probably tell how frustrating this has been for me...

Mar 3, 2014 3:57 PM in response to Deehaich

Again where did Apple say you could do that?

Deehaich wrote:

Forgive me, but you seem to be drifting from the original question, which, in essence, was "how do I get this silver fun-size pizza box to run two VGA monitors at 1920 x 1200, like Apple said I could...?" .having already bought more gadgets on false promises than I care to think about and having seen a video of the gadget you suggest in which 1920 x 1200 is conspicuous by its absence, I'm still in the market for a dead cert solution. You can probably tell how frustrating this has been for me...

Running two 1920 x 1200 VGA Monitors on Mac Mini (only bought it because Apple said I could do this!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.