Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook pro's trackpad is cracked and popping out, help needed URGENT!

My macbook pro's trackpad is slowly popping out of the laptop and is now cracked! this happened overnight. my macbooks battery indicator is also saying to replace it immediately but this happened right after i download mavericks os! Please help!!

MacBook Pro, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2017 7:07 PM

My Mac is about 2 years old, never used outdoors, treated like a baby, but a couple of days ago, I opened the pc and shocked to find the trackpad cracked across! It has apparently happened spontaneously as I never use the trackpad and prefer the mouse.

I'm convinced it is a manufacturing defect, but as it happened outside the warranty period, I don't know what Apple Support will say. User uploaded file

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2017 7:07 PM in response to tubyy

My Mac is about 2 years old, never used outdoors, treated like a baby, but a couple of days ago, I opened the pc and shocked to find the trackpad cracked across! It has apparently happened spontaneously as I never use the trackpad and prefer the mouse.

I'm convinced it is a manufacturing defect, but as it happened outside the warranty period, I don't know what Apple Support will say. User uploaded file

Jan 29, 2017 10:17 AM in response to Piper05

Hi,

I must say that Apple was initially very unhelpful. They claim that my Mac was manufactured in 2012 and hence is an 'antique' and therefore they have withdrawn all support for this model. Consequent to this pretty unreasonable policy, they do not supply the requisite inventory of parts to your service centre and one is expected to just discard an otherwise perfectly good machine that was maimed by its own technically unreliable battery. Such a policy is quite the best example of an unfair trade practice and an environment disaster that one could encounter, but a customer has little or no options.

I have spoken to the local Apple office and interacted intensely with them to locate some old stock of the battery and the trackpad and get them replaced. Despite the damage occurring due to Apple's own component failure, they have refused to bear any financial burden and I have to pay a small fortune to get the repairs effected.

After this experience of poor business ethic and unreasonable financial risk, I have decided that this will be my last Mac. In the past, Apple stood apart for providing faster and more reliable machines, with a no-questions-asked support policy. Now, after owning another Windows10 PC, I find that faster and definitely more user friendly, less expensive and offering better after market support.

Dec 17, 2017 5:07 PM in response to tubyy

Since about 2008 with the introduction of the aluminum Unibody MacBook Pro, the trackpads have been made of glass.

If the battery expands, it may put pressure on the underside of the trackpad. This sometimes causes the trackpad to malfunction. Do not ignore this problem. If the battery bursts, it could catch fire.

Like a car, the value of a used computer goes down with age. By the time Apple stops providing parts, those same parts become plentiful and cheap on the secondary market -- salvaged from computers that died from different causes than the one yours is suffering from.

Mar 3, 2014 1:41 AM in response to tubyy

You'll have to pay for the repair. Even if you were still under warranty, Apple would look at the "Replace Immediately" as an indication that you've not been paying attention to your battery.

It's quite common on some models for a battery to swell and cause problems with the trackpad - I've just never heard of a battery bulging so much that it 'cracks' the trackpad: the usual symptoms are that the trackpad moves around randomly or simply doesn't respond at all.

Sorry,

Clinton

my macbook pro's trackpad is cracked and popping out, help needed URGENT!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.