Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with iPhone 3GS silent button switches on, but doesnt work!

New to this - hello!

Can someone tell me please if I select this and send via the Out of Warranty Repair and paid £126, will they repair or replace? Its a secondary handset (have a new 5C on order) but would like my daughter to have this one, very sentimental value to me! Was a bit worried as the 3GS is quite old now, and I have had it since 2011. Thanks in advance 😕

iPhone 3GS (8GB)

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 3:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 3:48 AM

Apple doesn't fix damage like this, they replace the phone. Called an out of warranty replacement. Cost is £ 126.44, by mail, in the UK.

So, if this phone has "sentimental" value, you won't get it back.

5 replies

Mar 3, 2014 5:55 AM in response to littlemisssunshine34

littlemisssunshine34 wrote:

Oh no! Will they not even try?

Nope. As provided, you'll get either a new phone, or a refurbished phone. No way to tell, as they all come in white boxes.

Will they still have 3GSs?

Yep.

If you want to keep this phone, your only choice is a third-party repair shop. Bear in mind, if you go this route, you not only void all warranty/support from Apple, you also forfeit the right to an out of warranty exchange. Also, since Apple does not sell iPhone parts, many on the market are counterfeit.

If it were me, I wouldn't spend any money to fix this phone...its been discontinued by Apple. I'd use the funds towards the purchase of a new phone, & sell this phone on eBay for parts.

Mar 3, 2014 6:25 AM in response to wjosten

Thank you again. I have already purchased a new 5c - hasnt arrived from Apple yet, I am a bit anxious about, as I hear the newer iPhones are not built as well as the 3s. Hence why I am reluctant to part with it, at least if its fixed or at worst replaced with another 3GS, I have it to fall back on if I dont get on with the 5c and then I could sell the 5c ..... I did think if I didnt keep the 3GS for my daughter, that if I sold one that at least 'worked' or was 'refurbished' I would get more (which if course would go towards the price I have just shelled out for an unlocked iPhone direct with Apple) 😕

Help with iPhone 3GS silent button switches on, but doesnt work!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.