Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages being overbearing. Help required

Having just upgraded from Mountain Lion to Mavericks (10.9.2), I've come across a problem and wonder if anyone else is having the same issue.

I'm currently working in Libre Office on one aspect of a project. I opened Pages up for the first time since my upgrade and wanted to run the two aplications side-byside, as I would have done without a problem in Mountain Lion. However, in Mavericks I now get this message:

User uploaded file

I didn't ask Pages to open the document; I want to open it in Libre Office, but it seems to think it suddenly has responsibility for all wordprecessing that goes on on my Mac. I've tried quitting Pages, still the same message. To get the two programs running side by side, or to open a Libre Office doc after Pages has quit, I need to right click and select "open with" and find Libre Office on the applications list. BIT OF A STEP BACKWARDS THERE, APPLE!

How do I solve this?

Thanks, in advance.

iMac

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 3:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 5:49 AM

What format are you saving the LibreOffice files in?

Sounds like you are saving them as Word .doc/x files, and have Pages 5 set to open Word documents.

Peter

4 replies

Mar 3, 2014 6:48 AM in response to hippymango

Try this. Select the file that you want to open in Libre Office in the Finder. Choose "Get Info" from the file menu (or type <Command> I). Look for "Open with" towards the bottom. You should be able to select Libre Office from the menu. This should make that document open in Libre Office in future. You can have all documents of this type open in Libre Office using the "Change all" option.

Hope that helps.

Mar 3, 2014 1:32 PM in response to John De Banzie

Hi John,

I followed your instructions and clicked "change all". Mac said there isn't enough information to change that setting and all 500 of the relevant Libre Office docs will need to be changed individually.

Unless there is a better solution.

Would there be a magical setting that could import 500 docs from Libre Office to Pages enmass?

Thanks for your help.

Pages being overbearing. Help required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.