Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send Comcast email on iPhone

Hello all:

I have an iPhone 5, and last week my Comcast email account stopped sending mail.

My Comcast Web account and Mac Mail on my desktop are fine. On my phone, however, whenever I try to send email through my Comcast account, I get this error message:

"Cannot Send Mail--The user name or password for 'SMTP:username@smtp.comcast.net' is incorrect".

So far, I've reconfigured my account on both Web and Mac Mail with the recommended outgoing port # and new password with no problems. I then deleted the Comcast account on my phone and created a new one with correct port # and new password, with no luck.

I also tried to work this out with Comcast "Customer Service"--if you have an account with them, you know what I mean.

I think the "SMTP:username" part might be a glitch, but it doesn't show up in my phone Mail prefs.

So I'm stumped. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2015 11:06 PM

I'm no expert, but after digging around ANYWHERE I possibly could to resolve the very same problem you had, I stumbled across a solution:

I went into Settings, Mail/Contacts/Calendars, Accounts-Comcast-Mail, Outgoing Mail Server-SMTP, Primary Server-smtp.comcast.net and then merely retyped my password. My iPhone 5s's e-mail system worked immediately.

Hope this helps.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2015 11:06 PM in response to bithedz

I'm no expert, but after digging around ANYWHERE I possibly could to resolve the very same problem you had, I stumbled across a solution:

I went into Settings, Mail/Contacts/Calendars, Accounts-Comcast-Mail, Outgoing Mail Server-SMTP, Primary Server-smtp.comcast.net and then merely retyped my password. My iPhone 5s's e-mail system worked immediately.

Hope this helps.

Feb 28, 2017 4:28 AM in response to bithedz

New problem: my password in that second location keeps getting deleted.

Sometimes I can get it to "stick" and I can send emails all day. Sometimes it gets erased as soon as I hit ENTER.

What can I do to make it stop being erased?

help!

Details:

Running OS X El Capitan, 10.11.6, using Comcast email.

"Outgoing mail server (SMTP)" / "Edit SMTP server list" / (type password) / "Enter" (or push, 'return').

Go back to email and hit "send". Get error message again, "cannot verify password".

Go back to Mail / Preferences / etc. and find the password that I had just typed in has been erased.

Sometimes this can go on a half a dozen times until it finally works and doesn't get erased when I hit "send".

*** is erasing it? Very frustrated. Help!

Mar 5, 2014 11:59 AM in response to bithedz

Hey bithedz,

Thanks for the question. It sounds like your Outgoing Mail Server is configured incorrectly. To change these settings, you’ll want to navigate to the following:

1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

2. Tap the Mail account for which you would like to change the settings. If you configured your account using any of the built-in presets, IMAP, or Exchange, you may need to tap Account Info on the following screen.

3. On the Account Info screen, locate the Outgoing Mail Server section and tap the existing SMTP entry. A list of SMTP servers will appear with the Primary Server and Other SMTP Servers.

via iOS: Configuring additional outgoing mail servers

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4519

From here, choose your Primary Server, and change the “username@smtp.comcast.net” to the correct entry (usually just your username, without the @comcast.net, then your password).

Thanks,

Matt M.

Aug 19, 2016 2:25 PM in response to l085481

Thanks for this info. I have spent nearly a half day trying to fix this. I tried removing and re-adding my Comcast account several times, to no avail. For some reason it's either not taking, or using some default password under the SMTP settings. The incoming works just fine, as I was receiving emails, but all my outgoing email was sitting in the Outbox.

When you create a new account It doesn't prompt you for this, but it's really a two step process: 1. Enter the IMAP password, 2. Enter the same password again under SMTP password settings.

You would think when you are prompted for the initial password that it SHOULD populate both password fields, but apparently it is not, and this should be fixed. And long overdue, from the looks of it!

Can't send Comcast email on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.