Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't write to external hard drive. I have an NTFS driver.

I have a macbook pro running mavericks and an external hard drive that is NTFS and i can read but i can't write to it. I already have the paragon NTFS driver installed and i know the driver works cos i can use my other NTFS hard drive with no problems. In the "get info" pane under permissions it says i can "only read", but in disk utility under "write status" it says i can read/write. I tried to verify and repair the disk in disk utility and both completed normally with no errors detected.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to deal with this? i would rather not reformat the disk as it has roughly +500GB of work that i have no other place to store temporarily.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 2:08 PM

I'll offer some advice. Do not rely on 3rd-party software for filesystem drivers. An alternative is to use exFAT. It is readiable and writable with the native OS X and is a WIndows filesystem. It will handle all the files NTFS does. (It does not have the 4 GB file limit of FAT32.) Format a new drive as exFAT on the PC.

You would need to purchase another external HD to copy to the data but then you can use that drive as a backup for your data. It sounds like you have only one copy of your externally stored data which is dangerous. Should that drive fail, poof, your data is gone.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2014 2:08 PM in response to Jotsy

I'll offer some advice. Do not rely on 3rd-party software for filesystem drivers. An alternative is to use exFAT. It is readiable and writable with the native OS X and is a WIndows filesystem. It will handle all the files NTFS does. (It does not have the 4 GB file limit of FAT32.) Format a new drive as exFAT on the PC.

You would need to purchase another external HD to copy to the data but then you can use that drive as a backup for your data. It sounds like you have only one copy of your externally stored data which is dangerous. Should that drive fail, poof, your data is gone.

Mar 3, 2014 2:45 PM in response to Jotsy

Jotsy wrote:

Does anybody have any ideas on how to deal with this?

Yes, HD are cheap as dirt, buy another HD and format it for your Mac (Mac OSX ext. Journaled)

OR for both PC and Mac in EXFAT format.

Jotsy wrote:

i would rather not reformat the disk as it has roughly +500GB of work that i have no other place to store temporarily.

Leave it as it is,

$65 for a 1TB HD, or $100 for a 2TB drive. you always need minimum 2 ext. HD for data redundancy protection anyway.

Mar 3, 2014 3:03 PM in response to Jotsy

I had the exact same problem when I first got my Mac and wanted to use my Seagate hard drive for my Time Machine. What I had to do was to format it to do so. It's easy to do this yourself.

If you go to Spotlight Search on the top right of your toolbar (looks like a magnifying glass) and type in Disk Utility, you will see in the list "Disk Utility" highlighted, either as a Top Hit or an Application. Choose one of these to open the Disk Utility. In the window that opens, you will then see your Mac HDD listed, along with the hard drive you want to use as your Time Machine. You will see the name of the your external hard drive listed twice. Single click on the lower one. To the right, you will then see three tabs - "First Aid", "Erase" and "Restore". Choose "Erase". In the Format option that you will then see half way down the window, choose Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive, Journaled, Encrypted). Then click the Erase option. This option formats the hard disk for use with Mac or Windows which will give you greater flexibility shuld you need to ever use it on a Wondows machine.

Mar 4, 2014 2:33 AM in response to Dibenkorn

Thanks for the advice, but my work involves a lot transferring of large art assets around between me and my co-workers. I can't control what file format all of them use for their hard drives. Thus why i need the NTFS driver. I've read and written to loads of NTFS drives, but for some reason this is the first one with this problem. Oh well, seeing as all the advice is saying to reformat, looks like we'll just have to find some work-around.

Jul 28, 2015 8:00 AM in response to Jotsy

I recently had this problem, i use the Tuxera extension, what I did was I connected the NTFS hard drive to a windows computer and (to make sure it was still working properly) I copied a file from the windows pc into the drive. Then I disconnected it and plugged it back to my macbook pro currently running mavericks and It was Read/Write once again, I'm now able to copy into the NTFS drive from my macbook.

Can't write to external hard drive. I have an NTFS driver.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.