Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro turns on but then the screen goes black and I only see the cursor of the mouse, help please!

I'm having trouble with my MacBook Pro. As I turn it on the white screen with the apple shows up but then the screen turns completely black, and I can only see the cursor of the mouse, I can move it around but that's it. The keyboard works fine, the brightness goes up and down and so does the volume. Help please!

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 2:25 PM

I have the exact problem with my wife's 13" MacBook Pro - OS 10.9.1

Try restarting from a rescue partition (if you have OS10.9) or the system DVD or an external system drive. Back up your data in your user folder (music, files, photos, etc.)

I am hoping that someone says it's OK to reinstall the System OS. Advice would be very helpful... otherwise make an appointment with an Apple Genius or a service center.

Good Luck!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2014 2:25 PM in response to MaFeRodriguez28

I have the exact problem with my wife's 13" MacBook Pro - OS 10.9.1

Try restarting from a rescue partition (if you have OS10.9) or the system DVD or an external system drive. Back up your data in your user folder (music, files, photos, etc.)

I am hoping that someone says it's OK to reinstall the System OS. Advice would be very helpful... otherwise make an appointment with an Apple Genius or a service center.

Good Luck!

Mar 7, 2014 7:58 AM in response to Krisdavant

If your computer does not have a hardware problem (drive, display, board,etc.), you can start up your computer with an external drive or disk that has a system on it. For older computers the system disk came with insallation disks.

If you are using OS10.9 (Mavericks), when you intsalled OS 10.9 the intsaller creates a "Recovery Drive" on your computer.

In either case, when you start your computer press the option key. You'll get a choice of drives to start up from, choose the external (or disk) or recovery drive.

If your issue is not caused by a hardware issue, your computer will start up and you will be able to access your user folder or any other folder and copy the files to an external drive.

I went to the Apple Store because I wasn't sure if I had a hardware or software issue. Fortunately for me, the computers tested OK and because everything was backed up, the "Genius" wiped the drive and installed a "fresh copy" of OS10.9.

Hint: Installing an OS over the internet at home takes hours. At the Apple Store wth their high speed servers, it took 10 minutes.

Good Luck!

Apr 4, 2014 12:23 PM in response to Rnsjbs

NEVERMIND!!! I HAVE AN EASY FIX!!!

Its an automatic update glitch.

Start up in safe mode : turn on while holding down shift.

Once the screen turns black with only the cursor:

type the first letter of your username and press enter.

type your password and press enter.

Now wait, it will bring up a screen to finsih installation and your macbook will be back to normal after installation finishes!

WORKS!

My MacBook Pro turns on but then the screen goes black and I only see the cursor of the mouse, help please!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.