Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore ipod button in iTunes gives open file dialog - HELP!

I have an iPod touch which is non-working. When I plug it in to my mac, I get the message: "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes."

So in iTunes, I click the restore button. At that point, support docs say that I should be prompted to enter an admin password, but I'm not. All I get is a file open dialog box. Is it prompting me to find some backup file for my iPod? I don't know, but I don't have any such file. I have no idea what file I should be opening supposedly. I just want to restore my iPod to default factory settings. How do I do this?

Thanks

iPod touch

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 9:02 AM

4 replies

Mar 3, 2014 2:48 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks, but I don't have any firmware files at those locations, so I can't delete them. But your idea did prompt me to find and download a new firmware file, which seemed to be what iTunes is looking for with the open dialog box.

It accepted the file and started to restore the iPod, but then I got an error 1611. Tried again and got an error 1603. Any thoughts on how to fix those?

Mar 3, 2014 3:22 PM in response to agoraphonics

Check USB connections

If there’s an issue with the USB port, cable, dock, or hub, or if the device becomes disconnected during restore, try troubleshooting the USB connection, then troubleshooting your security software.

Common errors: 13, 14, 1600-1629, 1643-1650, 2000-2009, 4000, 4005, 4013, 4014, 4016, “invalid response”, and being prompted to restore again after a restore completes.

To narrow down the issue, you can also change up your hardware:

• Use another USB cable.
  • Plug your cable into a different USB port on your computer.
  • Try a different dock connector (or no dock).
  • Add (or remove) a USB hub between your device and computer.
  • Connect your computer directly to your Internet source, with no routers, hubs, or switches.

If you see your error after changing your USB connections, continue to the next section to troubleshoot your hardware.

Check for hardware issues

Try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good. Also, confirm your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers. If you still see the alert when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

Common errors: 1, 10-47, 1002, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1000-1020.

Apr 22, 2014 12:42 PM in response to agoraphonics

Just went through this. Searched here endlessly but never saw a solution.

My fix did not involve looking for a new firmware file - it was corrupted itunes preferences. Clicking the ipod name in the sidebar showed only a 'Summary' button at the top of the window - no Apps, Music, Movies, etc.

Quit iTunes, delete 'com.apple.iTunes.plist' and 'com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist' in ~/Library/Preferences/ as well as any files in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.iTunes (probably unnecessary). If you sort by 'date modified' and see other recent iTunes preference files in the User Library preference folder, trash those as well. Relauch and rebuild iTunes library. Rebuilding an iTunes library is always a pain but connecting the iPod now works as it should. Not sure which preference file was the cause but have wasted so much time tracking this down I can't possible experiment further.

Restore ipod button in iTunes gives open file dialog - HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.