Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1.3 ghz i5 in air vs 2.5 ghz i5 in non-retina pro.

Hi there. I've been trying to dig up solid differences between the 11" macbook air 1.3ghz (with intel 5000 graphics) and the 2.5ghz non retina 13" pro (with intel 4000 graphics). Most of the reviews I can find line the air up with the retina pro which isn't exactly what I'm wondering about.

I ask because I currently have the 13" pro but would love to get the 11" air instead. I just can't tell how much of a performance difference their is between the two notebooks. I've found a few sites but nothing that's really given me definitive answers.

I THINK I've found that the intel 5000 graphics on the air is at a slower clock speed than the 4000 pro. Seems that could be a step backwards for the minecraft I play. I belive there is a gererational difference between the pro and air in that the air has the 4th gen core and the pro has the 3rd. Not sure that means that the 1.3 is slower than the 2.5 like it used to be in the old days of CPU numbers.

Anyone have any solid info on how big the gap is between those to machines in terms of processing power? I realise the air will probably be snappier due to the SSD. My pro also have 4gb of ram. I'm really wondering if there will be that much of a gap...

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 8:43 AM

2 replies

Mar 3, 2014 9:52 AM in response to rickprokosch

Welcome to Apple Discussions

Speed is relative and most users would be hard pressed in most situations to discern the difference between the two machines.

Think of it this way... you're on the information highway (on that highway there are speed limits - bandwidth issues, server issues etc) it really makes little difference if you're driving a family sedan or a Maserati either car will only go so fast when traffic is heavy (rush hour).

However if you are doing audio/visual or other rendering of graphics or data base compilation on your machine my observation is invalid and go for the machine that meets or exceeds your applications recommendations.

Maxing the RAM to 8GB will have far more noticeable results in "speed" than the difference in processors and graphics chips.

Minecraft would have to be run in Windows - either under emulation or Boot camp. Get the machine that meets or exceeds the Minecraft requirements... but realize the information highway (for multi user play) will still have a big effect on speed. In that case you'll want to get off wireless and use an Ethernet adaptor and a cable... doing that will have as much, or more, effect as the graphics/CPU of either machine.

O missed the Minecraftstatement

Message was edited by: themachead

Mar 3, 2014 9:57 AM in response to rickprokosch

Here is an excellent video comparison between the 11” I5 vs. I7 2013 Macbook Air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDqJ-on03z4

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-465 0u/2

I5 vs. I7 performance 13” Macbook Air 2013

Boot performance

11.7 I5 ……11.4 I7

Cinebench

1.1 I5….1.41 I7

IMovie Import and Opt.

6.69 I5….5.35 I7

IMovie Export

10.33 I5…8.20 I7

Final Cut Pro X

21.47 I5…17.71 I7

Adobe Lightroom 3 Export

25.8 I5….31.8 I7

Adobe Photoshop CS5 Performance

27.3 I5…22.6 I7

1.3 ghz i5 in air vs 2.5 ghz i5 in non-retina pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.