Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it permissible to upload a video on youtube with music, sounds effects, and video effects from imovie?

Lately, I've been editing and making videos for a local church in Mexico. I am not selling any of the videos. The are free to watch. However, is it permissible to upload a video with music, sound effects, and video effects from imovie? I using imovie version 10.0.2

iMovie '11

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 8:35 AM

6 replies

Mar 3, 2014 5:52 PM in response to AppleMan1958

As I was doing reserch on the the license agreement form, I found a statement stating the opposite that imovie can't be used for commerical use. Now, does this statment still apply for videos being uploaded on youtube for non-profit reasons?

Section 2.A.i

"to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple

Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you

own or control"

Mar 3, 2014 10:43 PM in response to Dalcala1991

Dalcala1991 wrote:

… Now, does this statment still apply for videos being uploaded on youtube for non-profit reasons?... "to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control"

in human-lingo, meant is, you're not allowed to share commercially an Apple computer for the purpose to make iMovie available to persons who are not owners of a licence...

example:

1 neighbour purchases iMovie and installs it on his MacBook, and for 5$/d he 'shares' his Mac to all the other 22 households in the street = verboten 😉

all content is 'free' to use - my humble understanding of the ToU/EUL ... 😁

Mar 4, 2014 3:30 AM in response to Dalcala1991

This question comes up from time to time.

There are a number of con-men who think that they can earn a quick buck from claiming that they own the copyright to Apple’s royalty-free jingles and sound effects included with the iLife applications. These are all free to use, as clearly stated in section 2.C of the iLife Software License Agreement:

“You may use the Apple and third party audio content (“Audio Content”) contained in or otherwise included with the Apple software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original soundtracks for your video and audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own soundtracks that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual samples, sound sets, or audio content may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound files, sound effects or music beds.”

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/ilife09.pdf

You should quote this (also providing the above link) when following any dispute process with YouTube.

Is it permissible to upload a video on youtube with music, sounds effects, and video effects from imovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.